SunderMad
Why not join in with our small but perfectly formed community?

We are always looking for new members so sign up and join in, its free.

SOME PEOPLE SEEM TO HIT A SNAG WHEN TRYING TO REGISTER! NOT SURE WHY? IF YOU HAVE A PROBLEM EMAIL ME AND I WILL SORT IT?
sundamad@aol.com
Sky Sports-SunderMad Exclusive.
2017/18

Latest topics
» SUNDERLAND V FULHAM
Today at 1:20 pm by sunderpitt

» Club sale close
Today at 1:18 pm by sunderpitt

» Hi-ho
Today at 9:14 am by Billy D

» Predictions Week 17
Today at 6:40 am by Derro Jimmy

» Results of week 17 and fixtures for week 18
Yesterday at 8:05 pm by Mackemneil

» Jerry will be happy
Yesterday at 7:37 pm by Hieronymus

» BRING A TIN
Yesterday at 9:24 am by Billy D

» League Table Week 16
Yesterday at 1:37 am by Black Cat Kiwi

» Results Week 16
Yesterday at 1:34 am by Black Cat Kiwi

» Results Week 15
Yesterday at 1:33 am by Black Cat Kiwi

Who is online?
In total there are 10 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 10 Guests :: 2 Bots

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 328 on 2012-09-14, 11:57 am

Steve Howey

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Steve Howey

Post  Sid MCFC on 2017-02-19, 1:00 pm

Just a thought. I was at a charity gents evening on Friday and he was the guest speaker. He gave a good speech but I enjoyed two good chats with him more.

Despite him playing for Newcastle and Man City I hadn't realised he is a big Sunderland fan. Although I understand that being a professional footballer means a job is a job it must still be odd playing for the nearest rivals to his childhood team.

He couldn't make our joint Wembley trip as he was away but I think you know who he was supporting!

He gave me a laugh when we were having the meal as he was sat at the top table eating his own butties wrapped up in tin foil. He said later he didn't trust the food being served, our food isn't that different from yours is it
Sid MCFC
VIP
VIP

Back to top Go down

Re: Steve Howey

Post  Hieronymus on 2017-02-23, 1:59 pm

Sid MCFC wrote:Just a thought.  I was at a charity gents evening on Friday and he was the guest speaker.  He gave a good speech but I enjoyed two good chats with him more.

Despite him playing for Newcastle and Man City I hadn't realised he is a big Sunderland fan.  Although I understand that being a professional footballer means a job is a job it must still be odd playing for the nearest rivals to his childhood team.

He couldn't make our joint Wembley trip as he was away but I think you know who he was supporting!

He gave me a laugh when we were having the meal as he was sat at the top table eating his own butties wrapped up in tin foil.  He said later he didn't trust the food being served, our food isn't that different from yours is it
Sorry missed this when I was away.

I am amazed at your story about the sandwiches. How rude not to eat food provided at a do where he was guest speaker! But then he had a lot of years at Newcastle so probably forgot all the good manners his Sunderland parents taught him!! Laughing

Steve and Lee Howey are brothers, both born in Sunderland and Lee Howey played for us for a few years, notably when we won the Championship (or was it still First Division?) back in 1996. Cannot recall too much about him if I am honest. I do know that Steve Howey was not a popular figure with our supporters, unsurprisingly Very Happy

Speaking of players playing for their rivals to their childood team, Jack Colback was a Newcastle lad who was signed as an 8 year old for SAFC, and played for us from juniors all the way to Premier league. He then turned his back on us to sign for his boyhood team. Who were promptly relegated. So there may be a moral there somewhere tongue
Hieronymus
Admin Problem Solver
Admin Problem Solver

Back to top Go down

Post  MrRAWhite on 2017-02-24, 12:29 am

Yes..He was a silksworth lad I believe which is not far from where I live..I remember his family's home having their lawn painted red and white by some local youths when Steve played for the mags.

Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  Sid MCFC on 2017-02-24, 10:39 am

Haha it did seem a bit odd the guest speaker bringing his own butties. I thought it was quite funny actually, I presumed he thought we might be eating tripe and onions Smile

He did come across as a really nice and humble fella who definitely still supports Sunderland.

I don't know the reasons why he played for your rivals rather than yourselves. I BLAME HIS PARENTS!! I know if either of my two lads had been good enough to play professional football and there had been even a hint of them playing for Utd they'd still be locked in their bedroom! ;(
Sid MCFC
VIP
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum