SunderMad
Why not join in with our small but perfectly formed community?

We are always looking for new members so sign up and join in, its free.

SOME PEOPLE SEEM TO HIT A SNAG WHEN TRYING TO REGISTER! NOT SURE WHY? IF YOU HAVE A PROBLEM EMAIL ME AND I WILL SORT IT?
sundamad@aol.com
Sky Sports-SunderMad Exclusive.
2017/18

Latest topics
» Results of week 9 and fixtures for week10
Today at 11:13 pm by Hieronymus

» Martin Bain on Simon Grayson
Today at 7:55 pm by sunderpitt

» Morrisons Jarrow
Today at 7:52 pm by cyprussyd

» Manager Sacked
Today at 7:35 pm by Nostalgic

» Cretans daily crap chat ooops blog
Today at 6:04 pm by Hieronymus

» The way forward
Today at 12:15 pm by vinkel

» I had a dream
Today at 6:46 am by cyprussyd

» Quiz 68
Yesterday at 9:34 pm by Nostalgic

» Quiz 69
Yesterday at 9:32 pm by Nostalgic

» Brentford v Sunderland Match day thread
Yesterday at 9:30 pm by cyprussyd

Who is online?
In total there are 8 users online :: 1 Registered, 0 Hidden and 7 Guests :: 2 Bots

Argus

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 328 on 2012-09-14, 11:57 am

Kodi Boxes

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Kodi Boxes

Post  Hieronymus on 2017-02-10, 11:04 am

Anyone worried that they might be hearing a knock on the door soon? Do you think the authorities will concentrate on the people supplying these 'fully loaded' boxes or also target a few 'users' as a warning to others?

I heard yesterday of a pub in Tynemouth that was using one of these and was threatened with prosecution unless they took out a proper Sky subscription, which they did.

Jo Johnson (brother fo Boris) says these actions are protecting creative industries in the UK, but are they really protecting their big business and media buddies at SKY, BT etc?

Warnings over 'fully-loaded' Kodi boxes as five people are arrested: What you need to know

Set-top boxes pre-loaded with Kodi streaming software were seized after raids on behalf of the Premier League, Sky, BT Sport and Virgin Media

By Sophie Curtis
08:32, 10 FEB 2017

Five people have been arrested for selling “fully-loaded” Kodi boxes, as part of a major crackdown on sales of the TV streaming devices.
Set-top boxes pre-loaded with Kodi streaming software were seized at the homes of the five suspects in Bolton, Bootle, Cheadle, Manchester and Rhyl.
All of the suspects were taken to local police stations for questioning and have since been released on bail.
The arrests have raised questions around Kodi’s legality, with the software popular here in the North East.
The raids were instigated by the Federation Against Copyright Theft (FACT), on behalf the Premier League, Sky, BT Sport and Virgin Media.
It is believed the suspects have made in the region of £250,000 selling the devices online.
Kieron Sharp, director general of FACT, said: “Today’s day of action should send out a clear warning to anyone involved in the sale and distribution of illegal set-top boxes that law enforcement and industry take this matter very seriously.
“Set-top boxes loaded with apps and add-ons allowing access to copyright infringing material are very much illegal and anyone involved in selling these boxes should not be surprised to receive a knock on the door.”

Is Kodi legal?

Kodi is a free software application that can run on a computer, smartphone, tablet or set-top box, allowing users to stream films and TV programmes over the internet.
The software itself is not illegal, nor is it illegal to sell devices with Kodi pre-installed on them.
However, many of these Kodi devices come pre-loaded with unlicensed add-ons and apps which then allow users to illegally stream content to their TV - such as premium pay-for TV channels, live sport and films.
It is the selling of these “fully loaded” that copyright owners like Sky and Virgin Media object to

Are these the first arrests?

These are not the first arrests connected with the selling of Kodi boxes.
In December 2016, Terry O’Reilly was sentenced to four years in prison for conspiracy to defraud, after flogging over 1,000 boxes to pubs, who used them to illegally stream Premier League football matches.
A second supplier, Will O’Leary who worked with O’Reilly, pleaded guilty and received a two year suspended sentence.
Brian Thompson, a shopkeeper from Middlesbrough, has also been arrested for selling “fully loaded” Kodi boxes. His trial is will begin in May.
Two further investigations have been passed on to HMRC for further action.

What does the Government have to say?

Jo Johnson, Minister of State for Universities, Science, Research and Innovation, praised the crackdown on the sale and distribution of illegal TV set-top devices.
“Profiting from illegal streaming is completely unacceptable. The UK’s creative industries are a national asset that must be protected,” he said.
“Today’s efforts have shown that partnership works. I wish to congratulate FACT and the police for ending these criminal operations.”
The arrests were the result of a co-ordinated action between FACT, Greater Manchester Police, City of London Police’s Intellectual Property Crime Unit (PIPCU) and the Intellectual Property Office (IPO).

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Last edited by Hieronymus on 2017-02-10, 12:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
Hieronymus
Admin Problem Solver
Admin Problem Solver

Back to top Go down

Re: Kodi Boxes

Post  Argus on 2017-02-10, 11:21 am

What a coincidence, only yesterday I was being advised by a family member to download Kodi so I could watch ANY EPL match free of charge and without any risk of prosecution from the authorities !!

Having read this, I think I'll stick with BT & Sky.

Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  cyprussyd on 2017-02-10, 11:40 am

KEEPING MY HEAD DOWN AND SAYING NOWT

My glass is always half full and occasionally over flowing. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
cyprussyd
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

http://www.sunderlandmad.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Argus on 2017-02-10, 11:51 am

I've heard that Coxhoe is next on the hit list.

Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  cyprussyd on 2017-02-10, 11:56 am

Argus wrote:I've heard that Coxhoe is next on the hit list.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

My glass is always half full and occasionally over flowing. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
cyprussyd
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

http://www.sunderlandmad.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Hieronymus on 2017-02-10, 12:05 pm

Argus wrote:What a coincidence, only yesterday I was being advised by a family member to download Kodi so I could watch ANY EPL match free of charge and without any risk of prosecution from the authorities !!

Having read this, I think I'll stick with BT & Sky.
Me too, although I begrudge feedng their coffers Mad
Hieronymus
Admin Problem Solver
Admin Problem Solver

Back to top Go down

Post  Argus on 2017-02-10, 12:23 pm

cyprussyd wrote:
Argus wrote:I've heard that Coxhoe is next on the hit list.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

With that clever disguise, I guess they won't catch you Syd!

Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  The Yakker on 2017-02-16, 2:38 pm

Mine is installed on a fire stick, easy to hide, ish
The Yakker
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content