SunderMad
Why not join in with our small but perfectly formed community?

We are always looking for new members so sign up and join in, its free.

SOME PEOPLE SEEM TO HIT A SNAG WHEN TRYING TO REGISTER! NOT SURE WHY? IF YOU HAVE A PROBLEM EMAIL ME AND I WILL SORT IT?
sundamad@aol.com
Sky Sports-SunderMad Exclusive.
2017/18

Latest topics
» Corbyn in Brussels.
Today at 1:11 pm by cyprussyd

» Big pants
Today at 1:02 pm by gil t azell

» I bet they didn't envisage this start
Today at 10:45 am by Hieronymus

» Tina anybody?
Today at 10:42 am by Hieronymus

» Aberfan 21-10-66
Today at 10:39 am by Hieronymus

» Brentford v Sunderland Match day thread
Today at 10:31 am by cyprussyd

» Cretans daily crap chat ooops blog
Today at 10:27 am by Hieronymus

» Predictions Week 10
Today at 7:50 am by oldblackcat

» Mr H wont be happy
Yesterday at 10:13 pm by cyprussyd

» Lee Cattermole and Didier Ndong
Yesterday at 6:37 pm by cyprussyd

Who is online?
In total there are 14 users online :: 3 Registered, 0 Hidden and 11 Guests :: 2 Bots

canary-dave, cyprussyd, gil t azell

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 328 on 2012-09-14, 11:57 am

Fined over poppies

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Fined over poppies

Post  Billy D on 2016-12-19, 5:03 pm

Fifa has fined all four home nations for displaying poppies during World Cup qualifiers around Armistice Day.

England and Scotland players wore armbands featuring the symbol when they met at Wembley on 11 November.

Wales and Northern Ireland's respective games featured displays on the pitch or in the stands to mark the event.

England have been fined 45,000 Swiss francs (£35,311), Scotland and Wales 20,000 Sfr (£15,694) and Northern Ireland 15,000 Sfr (£11,770).

Fifa disciplinary committee chairman Claudio Sulser said he "fully respected" the commemorations but stressed the rules "need to be applied to all member associations".

"The display, among others, of any political or religious symbol is strictly prohibited," he added.

"In the stadium and on the pitch, there is only room for sport, nothing else."

Why have the countries been punished?
According to the rule-making International Football Association Board (IFAB), players cannot wear "political, religious or personal slogans, statements or images".

But both [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] featuring the poppy symbol during England's 3-0 win.

There was also a display of poppies on big screens, a minute's silence, playing of the Last Post and poppy T-shirts handed to the crowd.

Following Wales' 1-1 draw at home to Serbia the following day, Fifa opened disciplinary proceedings looking at "fans in the stands wearing the poppy" and the presence of "a member of the armed forces holding a bunch of poppies at the exit of the tunnel", according to the Football Association of Wales.

The holding of a minute's silence, the laying of a wreath and a poppy display by fans before Northern Ireland's 4-0 win over Azerbaijan on 11 November have led to the punishment of the Irish FA.
Billy D
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Re: Fined over poppies

Post  Hieronymus on 2016-12-19, 5:54 pm

I was expecting a minor slap on the wrist and this is probably the minimum they could impose, considering there was even talk of points deductions! But it is a disgrace when other FAs have been fined similar amounts for racist chanting for example Twisted Evil

I think FIFA really have more important things to concern themselves with, but they certainly need to address their regulations and ensure the poppy is no longer classed as a "political or religious symbol".
Hieronymus
Admin Problem Solver
Admin Problem Solver

Back to top Go down

Post  Black Cat Kiwi on 2016-12-21, 7:29 am

Hieronymus wrote:I was expecting a minor slap on the wrist and this is probably the minimum they could impose, considering there was even talk of points deductions! But it is a disgrace when other FAs have been fined similar amounts for racist chanting for example Twisted Evil

I think FIFA really have more important things to concern themselves with, but they certainly need to address their regulations and ensure the poppy is no longer classed as a "political or religious symbol".

It also contravened the Players Equipment Regulations according to La Gazzetta.

Black Cat Kiwi
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  Billy D on 2016-12-21, 1:24 pm

Black Cat Kiwi wrote:
Hieronymus wrote:I was expecting a minor slap on the wrist and this is probably the minimum they could impose, considering there was even talk of points deductions! But it is a disgrace when other FAs have been fined similar amounts for racist chanting for example Twisted Evil

Bollox.
Sorry but bollox.
How would you feel if this had happened to your country on ANZAC day?
Billy D
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  cyprussyd on 2016-12-21, 1:42 pm

I dont know anyone who sees the poppy as a political statement, well OK maybe Maclean.

Surely it's all about remembering the dead, for many all dead from any country.

Andvyo fine a ciuntry because some fand wore the poppy is ridiculous.

My glass is always half full and occasionally over flowing. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
cyprussyd
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

http://www.sunderlandmad.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Billy D on 2016-12-21, 2:13 pm

cyprussyd wrote:I dont know anyone who sees the poppy as a political statement, well OK maybe Maclean.

This, I think, from what I can fathom.
Billy D
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  MrRAWhite on 2016-12-21, 4:06 pm

It is an absolute disgrace and should be fought all the way..The same FIFa who did not bat an eyelid when the Argentinian players portrayed a banner before a game claiming the Falkland's as their own..

Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  Billy D on 2016-12-21, 4:11 pm

MrRAWhite wrote:It is an absolute disgrace and should be fought all the way..The same FIFa who did not bat an eyelid when the Argentinian players portrayed a banner before a game claiming the Falkland's as their own..
I hope Mrs May tells them to f*ck right off in those exact words.
Billy D
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  Black Cat Kiwi on 2016-12-21, 8:01 pm

Billy D wrote:
Black Cat Kiwi wrote:

Bollox.
Sorry but bollox.

I fully understand your anger Billy BUT the rules as they stand and yes I took the time to read the relevant ones in English in the FIFA Rule book as quoted in the Italian press appear to have been clearly in contravention of the Equipment Rules. That said, it doesn't mean that the Rules don't need reviewing.

The NZ Football team never play on ANZAC Day so I can't speak from experience but I can tell you that if NZ play Australia in Rugby League in the "ANZAC Test" they commemorate the fixture on their jerseys but the match is not played on the actual day.

Slightly OT, but for what it's worth I personally object to NZ teams performing the Haka which I believe should be banned from all sporting fields.

Black Cat Kiwi
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  Black Cat Kiwi on 2016-12-21, 8:08 pm

cyprussyd wrote:I dont know anyone who sees the poppy as a political statement, well OK maybe Maclean.

I agree with you Syd but the English & Scottish FA's forced FIFA's hand by not following the rules. 

The rules are written for all as what one person finds offensive, another finds commemorative. Maybe the rules need reviewing ?

Black Cat Kiwi
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  Billy D on 2016-12-22, 9:04 am

Black Cat Kiwi wrote:
Billy D wrote:
Black Cat Kiwi wrote:

Bollox.
Sorry but bollox.

I fully understand your anger Billy BUT the rules as they stand and yes I took the time to read the relevant ones in English in the FIFA Rule book as quoted in the Italian press appear to have been clearly in contravention of the Equipment Rules. That said, it doesn't mean that the Rules don't need reviewing.

The NZ Football team never play on ANZAC Day so I can't speak from experience but I can tell you that if NZ play Australia in Rugby League in the "ANZAC Test" they commemorate the fixture on their jerseys but the match is not played on the actual day.

Slightly OT, but for what it's worth I personally object to NZ teams performing the Haka which I believe should be banned from all sporting fields.
See, that's the thing mate.
We never played Scotland on Armistice Day.
We played them on Remembrance weekend.
It's Britain remembering her war dead.
Nothing political, nothing religious.

We have ours November you guys have yours April.
I always play The Band Played Waltzing Matilda in respect of the fallen at Gallipolli & do you know what?
I cry my eyes out over it.
Suvla Bay, bad day for ANZAC.
Billy D
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  Black Cat Kiwi on 2016-12-22, 10:20 pm

Billy D wrote:
Black Cat Kiwi wrote:
Billy D wrote:
Black Cat Kiwi wrote:

Bollox.
Sorry but bollox.

I always play The Band Played Waltzing Matilda in respect of the fallen at Gallipolli & do you know what?

Remembrance is just that, a solemn time which unfortunately is not respected by some or contrived to cause anguish by others.

Peace be with you my friend at this poignant time of year for you  tea

Black Cat Kiwi
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  Billy D on 2016-12-22, 10:36 pm

Black Cat Kiwi wrote:
Billy D wrote:
Black Cat Kiwi wrote:
Billy D wrote:
Black Cat Kiwi wrote:

Bollox.
Sorry but bollox.

Remembrance is just that, a solemn time which unfortunately is not respected by some or contrived to cause anguish by others.

Peace be with you my friend at this poignant time of year for you  tea
And with you my friend.

Billy D
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum: