SunderMad
Why not join in with our small but perfectly formed community?

We are always looking for new members so sign up and join in, its free.

SOME PEOPLE SEEM TO HIT A SNAG WHEN TRYING TO REGISTER! NOT SURE WHY? IF YOU HAVE A PROBLEM EMAIL ME AND I WILL SORT IT?
sundamad@aol.com
Sky Sports-SunderMad Exclusive.
2017/18

Latest topics
» Academy of Plight?
Today at 1:30 pm by sunderpitt

» Is it time for Tom Beadling to be given his chance?
Today at 12:57 pm by Vincemac

» Predictions Week 10
Yesterday at 8:53 pm by Mackemneil

» Results of week 8 and fixtures for week 9
Yesterday at 8:51 pm by Mackemneil

» Special day Tuesday!
Yesterday at 8:43 pm by Mackemneil

» Classic Clough
Yesterday at 6:21 pm by canary-dave

» Craig Shakespeare: Leicester City sack manager four months after appointment
Yesterday at 4:54 pm by cyprussyd

» Is it payback time?
Yesterday at 2:43 pm by sunderpitt

» Quiz 68
Yesterday at 11:14 am by MrRAWhite

» Death of Working Men's Clubs
Yesterday at 9:07 am by Sid MCFC

Who is online?
In total there are 12 users online :: 2 Registered, 0 Hidden and 10 Guests

cyprussyd, Hieronymus

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 328 on 2012-09-14, 11:57 am

CHRISTMAS....

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: CHRISTMAS....

Post  cyprussyd on 2016-12-10, 6:23 am

Nostalgic wrote:Know what you mean H, can remember having battle ships made from lead and planes welded from the old big pennies and thought it was great, saved the orange, apple and a couple of pennies that were in a sock.  Well, there was a war on.

My old man was the master of sending us kids on a guilt trip when we kicked up about "not having". Ten minutes of what it had been like back in his day and what other kids in India or Africa were happy to have made us feel just glad for the fresh air we breathed.

I had no qualms in doing the same to my own kids but not as effectively.

The contrast in the lives of children from different parts of this crazy, unequal, unjust world is unbelievable.

We have kids who get and expect £400 pound hover boards plus much more and others who just hope to still be alive next morning.

It depresses the hell out of me.

My glass is always half full and occasionally over flowing. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
cyprussyd
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

http://www.sunderlandmad.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Hieronymus on 2016-12-10, 11:51 am

cyprussyd wrote:
Nostalgic wrote:Know what you mean H, can remember having battle ships made from lead and planes welded from the old big pennies and thought it was great, saved the orange, apple and a couple of pennies that were in a sock.  Well, there was a war on.

My old man was the master of sending us kids on a guilt trip when we kicked up about "not having". Ten minutes of what it had been like back in his day and what other kids in India or Africa were happy to have made us feel just glad for the fresh air we breathed.

I had no qualms in doing the same to my own kids but not as effectively.

The contrast in the lives of children from different parts of this crazy, unequal,  unjust world is unbelievable.

We have kids who get and expect £400 pound hover boards plus much more and others who just hope to still be alive next morning.

It depresses the hell out of me.
It really saddens me to see so much poverty and want, when others have more than they could ever do with in a thousand lifetimes. The modern day Scrooge is thriving and we could do with a lot more of the spirit of "A Christmas Carol" right across the world.

If billionaires were more willing to share their largesse, and so many governments were not so corrupt, there would not be a starving, homeless, sick or uneducated child anywhere on Earth. But sadly the type of people who have money and resources are often greedy, self-centred and ruthless, who feel their wealth and power is all to do with their own efforts, and do not care that it almost certainly came from the hard work and sweat of poor people.

But it is Christmas and I don't want to feel miserable so I do what I can. I put extra money into charity boxes and appeals as well as having a continuing commitment to support the charity in Uganda that my daughter first worked for. Ordinary people cannot help everyone, but we can help some, and it is important that we do so.
Hieronymus
Admin Problem Solver
Admin Problem Solver

Back to top Go down

Post  vinkel on 2016-12-11, 6:39 pm

Why do we celebrate Christmas on dec 25th, if there ever was a jesus there is no evidence to say he was born on that date.

National News Correspondent.
National News Correspondent.

Back to top Go down

Post  cyprussyd on 2016-12-11, 6:50 pm

vinkel wrote:Why do we celebrate Christmas on dec 25th, if there ever was a jesus there is no evidence to say he was born on that date.

I do because me mam said thst was the day and I always did what me mam said I had to.

My glass is always half full and occasionally over flowing. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
cyprussyd
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

http://www.sunderlandmad.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Black Cat Kiwi on 2016-12-11, 6:51 pm

vinkel wrote:Why do we celebrate Christmas on dec 25th, if there ever was a jesus there is no evidence to say he was born on that date.
For exactly the same reason people celebrate the beginning of the year on 1st January  Very Happy

Black Cat Kiwi
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  Nostalgic on 2016-12-11, 7:00 pm

In summary, the Emperor Constantine who brought Christianity to Rome, via his Army service in both Eastern Rome (Turkey) and Western Rome (England) when he got rid of about two hundred Roman Gods, combined them with Christianity from the East and Paganism from the West and came up with a date that was close to the Winter Solstice in Paganism and 25th December was close enough to tie in with the bright star of the East. Not sure if it was used with the help of astronomers in Rome.

A smart move really as he was influenced by the dedication in both beliefs at the time in countries away from Rome.

Nostalgic
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  Black Cat Kiwi on 2016-12-11, 7:15 pm

Nostalgic wrote:
In summary, the Emperor Constantine who brought Christianity to Rome, via his Army service in both Eastern Rome (Turkey) and Western Rome (England) when he got rid of about two hundred Roman Gods, combined them with Christianity from the East and Paganism from the West and came up with a date that was close to the Winter Solstice in Paganism and 25th December was close enough to tie in with the bright star of the East. Not sure if it was used with the help of astronomers in Rome.

A smart move really as he was influenced by the dedication in both beliefs at the time in countries away from Rome.
...plus No-one knows the date as it's not in the Bible. Pope Julius? decided upon the date.

Black Cat Kiwi
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  Nostalgic on 2016-12-11, 7:36 pm

Forgot about Julius and his calendar.

Nostalgic
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  Black Cat Kiwi on 2016-12-11, 7:54 pm

Nostalgic wrote:Forgot about Julius and his calendar.
All from school many moons back, Latin Crying or Very sad  & History Very Happy

Black Cat Kiwi
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  Silvers on 2016-12-11, 9:37 pm

Symbolic of course...

Russia celebrate Christmas day on January 7th....
Silvers
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

http://www.newdawncp.co.uk/about-us/

Back to top Go down

Post  Nostalgic on 2016-12-15, 8:04 pm

A bit of lightheartedness from the Gingerbread Men:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Nostalgic
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)