SunderMad
Why not join in with our small but perfectly formed community?

We are always looking for new members so sign up and join in, its free.

SOME PEOPLE SEEM TO HIT A SNAG WHEN TRYING TO REGISTER! NOT SURE WHY? IF YOU HAVE A PROBLEM EMAIL ME AND I WILL SORT IT?
sundamad@aol.com
Sky Sports-SunderMad Exclusive.
Latest topics
» Sunderland vs Benfica B - Thursday 18th July
PvA defending, Echo Moyes EmptyYesterday at 11:38 pm by Hieronymus

» Got my pass, have you got yours?
PvA defending, Echo Moyes EmptyYesterday at 9:01 pm by Vincemac

» Good Luck
PvA defending, Echo Moyes Empty2019-07-17, 8:53 pm by Lever Malone

» Portugal
PvA defending, Echo Moyes Empty2019-07-17, 4:23 pm by cyprussyd

» SCMP
PvA defending, Echo Moyes Empty2019-07-16, 6:19 pm by gil t azell

» The Rt Hon David Bowen Esquire
PvA defending, Echo Moyes Empty2019-07-15, 11:17 pm by Hieronymus

» Wahbi Khazri
PvA defending, Echo Moyes Empty2019-07-15, 8:44 am by Hieronymus

» Love departs
PvA defending, Echo Moyes Empty2019-07-14, 9:08 am by barrowmackem

» McGeady
PvA defending, Echo Moyes Empty2019-07-14, 9:06 am by barrowmackem

» Twitter 1
PvA defending, Echo Moyes Empty2019-07-12, 5:19 pm by Hieronymus

PvA defending, Echo Moyes

Go down

PvA defending, Echo Moyes Empty PvA defending, Echo Moyes

Post  Guest on 2016-12-07, 9:09 am

There is a piece in the Echo about how Moyes thinks PvA's  attacking is great but defending particularly with crosses is not good enough. No shit Sherlock@

I cannot be the only one who has thought PvA must be one of the best attacking full backs in the league but one of the worst defenders. Lots of teams have concentrated on attacking our LB position because of his foibles...let's hope he does improve especially with Anchibie to help out

Back to top Go down

PvA defending, Echo Moyes Empty Re: PvA defending, Echo Moyes

Post  Vincemac on 2016-12-07, 10:06 am

sunderpitt wrote:There is a piece in the Echo about how Moyes thinks PvA's  attacking is great but defending particularly with crosses is not good enough. No shit Sherlock@

I cannot be the only one who has thought PvA must be one of the best attacking full backs in the league but one of the worst defenders. Lots of teams have concentrated on attacking our LB position because of his foibles...let's hope he does improve especially with Anchibie to help out
Help 
That's what he needs 
He can't be in two places at the same time 
When he's bombing forward and the attack breakers down it cover behind him he needs 
Remmember Micky gray bombing forward and did he have cover when the attack broke down
Vincemac
Vincemac
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  cyprussyd on 2016-12-07, 10:12 am

He is a modern full back and like many of our players is criticised fsr to much.

Vince is spot on, we need to make the most of his attacking and cover his defending but it's far easier to find fault than praise.

My glass is always half full and occasionally over flowing. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
cyprussyd
cyprussyd
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

http://www.sunderlandmad.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Vincemac on 2016-12-07, 10:16 am

cyprussyd wrote: like He is a modern full back and like many of our players is criticised fsr to much.

Vince is spot on, we need to make the most of his attacking and cover his defending but it's far easier to find fault than praise.

Vincemac
Vincemac
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on 2016-12-07, 10:19 am

cyprussyd wrote:He is a modern full back and like many of our players is criticised fsr to much.

Yep but that us why I wonder we have not used 3 CBs  and employed PvA as a wing back?

He is exposed too much just as a defending full back whereas he is very fast and dangerous going forward. As Vince says we have to cover him....not sure if the stats exist but how often have goals against come from LB position

Back to top Go down

Post  Vincemac on 2016-12-07, 12:04 pm

sunderpitt wrote:
cyprussyd wrote:He is a modern full back and like many of our players is criticised fsr to much.

Yep but that us why I wonder we have not used 3 CBs  and employed PvA as a wing back?

He is exposed too much just as a defending full back whereas he is very fast and dangerous going forward. As Vince says we have to cover him....not sure if the stats exist but how often have goals against come from LB position
Not sure about the stats myself 
However I think we have leaked a few from that left area 
He does need cover and maybe either Larson or Borini may be our best choice as I fear our other option s of whatmore ( injured) gooch ( injured) kasri out of favor and januzih who is not noted for his work rate tracking back.
Who else ????????????!
Vincemac
Vincemac
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  Kipper on 2016-12-07, 12:25 pm

Vincemac wrote:
sunderpitt wrote:

Not sure about the stats myself 
However I think we have leaked a few from that left area 
He does need cover and maybe either Larson or Borini may be our best choice as I fear our other option s of whatmore ( injured) gooch ( injured) kasri out of favor and januzih who is not noted for his work rate tracking back.
Who else ????????????!

Shame about Khazri - got a lot of talent, and I'm not going to forget that goal against Chelsea in a hurry. Maybe injury will force Moyes hand and Khazri will be able to prove a point. I guess Moyes wants to see him work harder. Hopefully he'll be keen to do so after being left out, or has it gone too far?
Kipper
Kipper
Investigative fact finder
Investigative fact finder

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on 2016-12-07, 12:33 pm

I guess Januzaj is a bit like PvA in that he is very good at attacking but does not want, as say Hazard still does a bit with 3 CBS and wingbacks still tackle back.

Personally I would choose Khazri cos he is creative and does work hard in defence.....but he and Moyes are still at loggerheads it seems

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on 2016-12-07, 1:02 pm

This isn't a rare problem. Many clubs, and even national teams face this dillema. Marcello, at Real Madrid, is somewhat of a defensive liability but at the same time, he's exceptional going forward - dribbling, passing, crossing, and occasionally cutting inside to shoot.

The conventional solution as y'all have beaten to death, is to have the player in front of him help him out defensively.

An alternate solution could be..............  :

Change his position!

Think about it. What if he was moved up front to play as a winger?

Back to top Go down

Post  Vincemac on 2016-12-07, 2:11 pm

clark_kent wrote:This isn't a rare problem. Many clubs, and even national teams face this dillema. Marcello, at Real Madrid, is somewhat of a defensive liability but at the same time, he's exceptional going forward - dribbling, passing, crossing, and occasionally cutting inside to shoot.

The conventional solution as y'all have beaten to death, is to have the player in front of him help him out defensively.

Change his position!

I think I would keep him where he is at full back 
Then would get cover  from others when he is attacking
Vincemac
Vincemac
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  Hieronymus on 2016-12-07, 6:17 pm

Vincemac wrote:
clark_kent wrote:This isn't a rare problem. Many clubs, and even national teams face this dillema. Marcello, at Real Madrid, is somewhat of a defensive liability but at the same time, he's exceptional going forward - dribbling, passing, crossing, and occasionally cutting inside to shoot.

Change his position!

Cattermole does that very well. I know he divides opinion but I still say we miss his energy and influence in midfield AND in tracking back to cover when defenders get forward.
Hieronymus
Hieronymus
Admin Problem Solver
Admin Problem Solver

Back to top Go down

Post  Nostalgic on 2016-12-07, 7:03 pm

What has not been said though is that for all he is good a bombing forward some of his passing choices are not so clever when  he is forced inside by the opposition onto his right foot and his passing accuracy is not that great.
Nostalgic
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  Black Cat Kiwi on 2016-12-07, 10:29 pm

Hieronymus wrote:
Vincemac wrote:

Change his position!

Cattermole does that very well. I know he divides opinion but I still say we miss his energy and influence in midfield AND in tracking back to cover when defenders get forward.

He sure does on both accounts. Long may it be directed to football matters on the pitch  like

Ps. Just when I thought Moyes had resigned to keeping his thoughts private  Mad

Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on 2016-12-08, 4:35 am

Madrid-bvb: Marcello's poor defending, tracking back, and positioning allowed Bvb to grab the equalizer. I believe Marcello had the ball, went up, cut inside, lost it, and failed to get back when Bvb countered. The cross to Reus came from Marcello's side.

Just something to keep in mind as we discuss PvA. The guy in front of him must do his job else....

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum