SunderMad
Why not join in with our small but perfectly formed community?

We are always looking for new members so sign up and join in, its free.

SOME PEOPLE SEEM TO HIT A SNAG WHEN TRYING TO REGISTER! NOT SURE WHY? IF YOU HAVE A PROBLEM EMAIL ME AND I WILL SORT IT?
sundamad@aol.com
Sky Sports-SunderMad Exclusive.
2017/18

Latest topics
» Results of week 9 and fixtures for week10
Today at 11:13 pm by Hieronymus

» Martin Bain on Simon Grayson
Today at 7:55 pm by sunderpitt

» Morrisons Jarrow
Today at 7:52 pm by cyprussyd

» Manager Sacked
Today at 7:35 pm by Nostalgic

» Cretans daily crap chat ooops blog
Today at 6:04 pm by Hieronymus

» The way forward
Today at 12:15 pm by vinkel

» I had a dream
Today at 6:46 am by cyprussyd

» Quiz 68
Yesterday at 9:34 pm by Nostalgic

» Quiz 69
Yesterday at 9:32 pm by Nostalgic

» Brentford v Sunderland Match day thread
Yesterday at 9:30 pm by cyprussyd

Who is online?
In total there are 9 users online :: 1 Registered, 0 Hidden and 8 Guests :: 2 Bots

Argus

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 328 on 2012-09-14, 11:57 am

Thinking of our Antipodean Sundermadders

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Thinking of our Antipodean Sundermadders

Post  Hieronymus on 2016-09-01, 8:05 pm

Hope Nostalgic and Black Cat Kiwi and all their family and friends are okay after a 7.1 magnitude earthquake off the east coast of North Island.

I guess nature has a way of telling you to get things into perspective. 

New Zealand's North Island Shaken By 7.1 Quake

Residents of coastal areas in East Cape district are advised to evacuate their homes after the second major tremor in two days.

19:50, UK,Thursday 01 September 2016
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
A seismograph instrument recording ground motion during earthquake

New Zealand's North Island has been shaken by a 7.1 quake, with residents of the coastal areas of East Cape warned to move to higher ground.
The earthquake struck at about 4.40am local time and was centered about 80 miles northeast of Te Araroa at a depth of about 20 miles.
The quake was felt as far south as Akaroa - about halfway down the South Island - and as far north as Kerikeri, about 150 miles north of Auckland.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
An earthquake has struck off New Zealand's east coast

New Zealand's Ministry of Civil Defence, however, issued a "tsunami potential threat advisory" for all the country's coastal areas.
This was later upgraded to a tsunami warning for the North Island's East Coast, including Auckland, Waikato and Bay of Plenty and the country's upper South Island.
About 90 minutes after the quake, a wave height of 30cm was measured at East Cape, with the New Zealand Ministry of Civil Defence describing this as "the first tsunami activity" and warning that this activity "will continue for several hours".

GNS scientist Anna Keiser told Radio NZ that, although the wave sounded small, it was enough to generate a tsunami.
She added: "At this stage the 30cm is within the marine threat category and people should be vigilant."
Anyone living near the coast in the area has been warned to leave their homes, take their radio with them and immediately go to higher ground.

According to Geonet, which monitors New Zealand's earthquakes, there were 28 aftershocks in the hour following the quake.
Two of these were described as severe - measured at 5.6 and 6.2 on the Richter scale.
No damage has been reported, although power was cut briefly to around 300 homes.
The quake comes a day after a 5.7 tremor nearby, about 62 miles northeast of Te Araroa on the east coast.
New Zealand is on the boundary of the Australian and Pacific tectonic plates and experiences up to 15,000 tremors a year.
More follows...

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Hieronymus
Admin Problem Solver
Admin Problem Solver

Back to top Go down

Re: Thinking of our Antipodean Sundermadders

Post  cyprussyd on 2016-09-01, 8:45 pm

Will bevgood to hear that they are OK

My glass is always half full and occasionally over flowing. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
cyprussyd
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

http://www.sunderlandmad.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Black Cat Kiwi on 2016-09-01, 8:53 pm

cyprussyd wrote:Will bevgood to hear that they are OK

I'm fine as, currently in Italy....lol

Friends in Whakantane report nothing even falling off shelves when a baby one in Italy flattens a town & so told me to watch out more like, for myself Rolling Eyes 

Ps. Please excuse he poor humor.

Black Cat Kiwi
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  Nostalgic on 2016-09-01, 8:58 pm

All OK in the further north Auckland area guys. The quake was far enough out to sea not to have a direct result on anybody, I will be going down the beach later to see what our foot high tsunami has achieved. 

It was the calendar first day of Spring yesterday and absolutely glorious which makes you wonder if it was the calm before the event. We had a couple of pods of Orca whales around our area yesterday so maybe nature gave us two warnings. It is Father's Day here on Sunday and the kids are bringing  beer and pizza and the wife is threatening to do some baking later so we will get extra in just in case.

Nostalgic
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  Hieronymus on 2016-09-01, 9:04 pm

Black Cat Kiwi wrote:

Friends in Whakantane report nothing even falling off shelves when a baby one in Italy flattens a town & so told me to watch out more like, for myself Rolling Eyes 

Good to hear you are safe if, as you say, being in Italy is safe! Smile
Hieronymus
Admin Problem Solver
Admin Problem Solver

Back to top Go down

Post  Black Cat Kiwi on 2016-09-01, 9:11 pm

Hieronymus wrote:
Black Cat Kiwi wrote:

Good to hear you are safe if, as you say, being in Italy is safe! Smile

More chance of being mugged by Asylum seekers than flattened in a quake Suspect

Black Cat Kiwi
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  Hieronymus on 2016-09-01, 9:13 pm

Nostalgic wrote:All OK in the further north Auckland area guys. The quake was far enough out to sea not to have a direct result on anybody, I will be going down the beach later to see what our foot high tsunami has achieved. 

It was the calendar first day of Spring yesterday and absolutely glorious which makes you wonder if it was the calm before the event. We had a couple of pods of Orca whales around our area yesterday so maybe nature gave us two warnings. It is Father's Day here on Sunday and the kids are bringing  beer and pizza and the wife is threatening to do some baking later so we will get extra in just in case.
Good to hear all is okay. Enjoy your good weather and nature on your doorstep, and your family get together at the weekend  Very Happy
Hieronymus
Admin Problem Solver
Admin Problem Solver

Back to top Go down

Post  Nostalgic on 2016-09-01, 9:17 pm

Hieronymus wrote:
Nostalgic wrote:All OK in the further north Auckland area guys. The quake was far enough out to sea not to have a direct result on anybody, I will be going down the beach later to see what our foot high tsunami has achieved. 

Good to hear all is okay. Enjoy your good weather and nature on your doorstep, and your family get together at the weekend  Very Happy
The girls were not impressed when I told them to take their mother out for the day as my Father's Day gift.

Where has humour gone?

Nostalgic
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  Hieronymus on 2016-09-01, 9:59 pm

Nostalgic wrote:
Hieronymus wrote:

The girls were not impressed when I told them to take their mother out for the day as my Father's Day gift.

Where has humour gone?
lol!
Hieronymus
Admin Problem Solver
Admin Problem Solver

Back to top Go down

Post  Black Cat Kiwi on 2016-09-01, 10:15 pm

This is the local site that tracks all quakes etc, in real time for NZ

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Black Cat Kiwi
Senior Member(Top Cat)