SunderMad
Why not join in with our small but perfectly formed community?

We are always looking for new members so sign up and join in, its free.

SOME PEOPLE SEEM TO HIT A SNAG WHEN TRYING TO REGISTER! NOT SURE WHY? IF YOU HAVE A PROBLEM EMAIL ME AND I WILL SORT IT?
sundamad@aol.com
Sky Sports-SunderMad Exclusive.
Latest topics
» Sunderland v Tranmere Rovers
Is Moyes being clever? EmptyToday at 3:13 am by Black Cat Kiwi

» To those at the game tonight
Is Moyes being clever? EmptyYesterday at 11:09 pm by wanderer

» Tests, tests and more bloody tests!
Is Moyes being clever? EmptyYesterday at 10:27 pm by trouble_n_stripes

» A very good morning one and all
Is Moyes being clever? EmptyYesterday at 9:55 pm by trouble_n_stripes

» A very happy birthday!
Is Moyes being clever? EmptyYesterday at 10:54 am by fulwellend47

» Can't say I'm looking forward to Tuesday
Is Moyes being clever? EmptyYesterday at 9:25 am by Sid MCFC

» Predictions Mid week 12
Is Moyes being clever? EmptyYesterday at 7:58 am by Lever Malone

» Results week 12
Is Moyes being clever? Empty2019-10-21, 10:38 pm by Black Cat Kiwi

» Predictions week 13
Is Moyes being clever? Empty2019-10-21, 6:10 pm by canary-dave

» League table Week 12
Is Moyes being clever? Empty2019-10-21, 12:31 pm by Jerry the Jinx

Is Moyes being clever?

Go down

Is Moyes being clever? Empty Is Moyes being clever?

Post  Mackemneil on 2016-08-22, 11:05 pm

from WeAreWearside

I don't think David Moyes is absent-minded enough to make off-the-cuff comments about the club he manages without knowing how the media, the fans and - very importantly - the club will absorb them. 

In fact, I think Moyes is an incredibly clever fella. In the few press interviews he has made, I think he has very deliberately chosen to be more detailed about some subjects than others to portray an image or to maybe even get a reaction. 

Aside from yesterday's post-match interview the most obvious example of this is how he has handled Lamine Kone. The defender was nowhere to be seen at the Stadium of Light yesterday and reports simmered beneath the main headlines that the defender was told not to bother turning up, with some media outlets even suggesting he had been 'banned' from the club altogether until the end of the transfer window. 

Moyes' first comments about the Kone saga clarified that the player had indeed believed he was promised an improved contract should Sunderland stay up at the end of the 2015/16 campaign. He went on to confirm the club had told Kone he would be offered such contract after the transfer window. 

The Scot let that simmer for a little while before next revealing Sunderland had kindly tried to offer Kone the new deal sooner, to accommodate the player's request for security over his future - only for the player to refuse the offer. Moyes made it very clear that Kone did not reject a contract, but refused to discuss one altogether. He did not stop there, confirming Kone had declared himself unfit through back injury rather than a club physio's recommendation. 

Following on from his previous admission that the player was seeking a new deal, and the player's public suggestion he wanted to stay at Sunderland should such deal arrive - Moyes made Kone look like a right mug. 

Yesterday Moyes seemingly added insult to injury for fans who had watched Sunderland lose to Middlesbrough in their opening home fixture of the season. He said; 

“It’s been the same for last few years, I think it will be again. You can’t argue with the facts. People are hoping for it to dramatically change, but it can’t.

That alone is a pretty damning statement from your manager just two games into the new season. Moyes was not finished and went on to say; 

“We hope that things will improve. Defensively, we have a young right-back and centre-half, but they need a lot of work and schooling."

and 

"This is the group of players at the moment."

and 

"Once he [O'Shea] went off, we did not really have a central midfielder or defender out there, so we had to patch up."

and 

"We have to get the balance right between young and experience and get the right values in the transfer market."

and 

"But it’s not that easy. The prices are a bit more than they have been in the past."

That is quite a lot of mentions about the squad size and subtle, but very obvious, hints that the squad needs serious money thrown at it. Could it be that, rather than just being a bit stupid and saying something to irritate everybody, Moyes is attempting to publicly force Ellis Short's hand into his pocket? Or Martin Bain to pull his finger out and finalise deals for the players he wants? 

Moyes probably expected to retain the squad he had when he took the job. With Younes Kaboul leaving, Kone looking likely to follow, the Yann M'Vila transfer and the others that are no doubt in the 'pipeline' not being pursued as rigorously as possible (it seems), perhaps to due transfer fees (I speculate) - is Moyes trying his best to get his message to sink in at Sunderland football club rather than to the press and public? 

Like I say, Moyes is not an idiot. I don't believe for a moment he would deliberately try to annoy supporters of Sunderland without very good reason. 

Last edited by Mackemneil on 2016-08-22, 11:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mackemneil
Mackemneil

http://mackemneil.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Is Moyes being clever? Empty Re: Is Moyes being clever?

Post  Argus on 2016-08-22, 11:22 pm

I agree wholeheartedly with your analysis

Moyes is far too experienced to make such inflammatory comments without having given serious thought to the implications.

Methinks he is just a wee bit cleverer than people may think.

'...many ways to skin a cat ..' jumps to mind.

Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  Hieronymus on 2016-08-23, 12:15 am

Argus wrote:I agree wholeheartedly with your analysis

Moyes is far too experienced to make such inflammatory comments without having given serious thought to the implications.

Methinks he is just a wee bit cleverer than people may think.

'...many ways to skin a cat ..' jumps to mind.
I also agree. When I listened to what he said, and how he said it, it was clear he was forcing the issue about player recruitment. 

Some people have been far too literal in their interpretation of Moyes' comments; in my experience there is usually far more to what a person says than the words they use.
Hieronymus
Hieronymus
Admin Problem Solver
Admin Problem Solver

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on 2016-08-23, 5:04 am

I like Mr Moyes and his style , unfortunately I doubt it will sit well with Short . 
But Short has his man and like it or not he is going to have to speculate to accumulate . 
Mr Moyes has said nothing we do not already know , just a slap in the face to his boss about the situation SAFC are in and time will tell if a public spat is the right way of doing it . 
The last half dozen managers haven't had much luck with Short maybe this is well overdue , Mr Moyes has enough experience to know how to handle a tight fisted owner ( and yes he has bailed us out repeatedly before anyone jumps on that bandwagon ) , but now Short has come to the end of the line , Mr Moyes was his favoured choice if he is seen not support him then we can expect a sale of the club I am sure . 
As usual it's over to you Short . 
Well done Mr Moyes for forcing the issue , you will either get your money to spend or will be one of the quickest management turnovers in Premier history .

Back to top Go down

Post  cyprussyd on 2016-08-23, 6:30 am

Cant argue with any of the above and it is beyond doubt that Moyes is no fool, his record shows that.

I think he has had quite a shock for the reasons stated with a combination of unsettled players and injuries making a difficult job almost impossible.

Whatever Shorts motives, prudence or sell, I think it would be silly to assume he is a stupid man either and he must know cash needs to be raised.

I can see money coming from the sales of Kone, Lens ad Khazri with 3.5 already in the bank from Kaboul and maybe a 10mil top up from Short.

Some good dealing should see the squad improve and so far twp defeats but no trouncing s with a patched up team could become happy days.

My glass is always half full and occasionally over flowing. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
cyprussyd
cyprussyd
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

http://www.sunderlandmad.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Rovertsafc on 2016-08-23, 7:55 am

Moyes is a shrewd cookie,however why would he be saying all this when he knew what the job entailed before he took it on,surely he would not of taken the job on if he had not gained assurances from Short.
He is playing mind games with us and the press
Rovertsafc
Rovertsafc
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on 2016-08-23, 9:38 am

Yes, he could be persuading us that life is going to be tough (yet again) when all along we are going to be a top ten side ...

Roll on !

Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post  Argus on 2016-08-23, 10:08 am

I've no doubt that Moyes sought certain financial commitment from Short before taking the job but the transfer market has changed dramatically this summer and I believe Moyes is not prepared to pay silly money for what he considers quite ordinary players, preferring to spend the minimum required to stay up and hopefully be in a stronger position next season, with extra cash to fund the next stage of our development.

I've often held the belief that because challenging for a top 6 place is way outside our capabilities (10th/12th would be a dream for most of us) so why spend madly if the only reward is to finish a couple of positions higher up the league than 17th position?

I know it's a dangerous game, continually hovering in the lower echelons, but if he can pull it off with minimal outlay then the future must be a lot rosier than it has been for many seasons.

The reality is that Short HAS supported successive managers in the transfer market - albeit at a lower level than we would like - but the money has often been wasted and I'm sure someone will have statistics to prove the point.

Moyes may have decided to take a stance against the current trend of player/agent power (looks like he has already demonstrated this with his handling of the Kone saga) and once again, if it works then he will no doubt enjoy our admiration.

The bottom line is, can he do this without putting our Premier League status at risk?

Interesting times ahead.

Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  gil t azell on 2016-08-23, 6:47 pm

Very good post MN.
gil t azell
gil t azell
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  Nostalgic on 2016-08-23, 8:17 pm

Another ingredient could be that Moyes is trying to change the approach to the game than the one Sam instilled into the team last year. Sam's remit was keep us up and build, but when managers change so do approaches and Moyes could have made that clear from the beginning and has a whole season to do it.
Nostalgic
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum