SunderMad
Why not join in with our small but perfectly formed community?

We are always looking for new members so sign up and join in, its free.

SOME PEOPLE SEEM TO HIT A SNAG WHEN TRYING TO REGISTER! NOT SURE WHY? IF YOU HAVE A PROBLEM EMAIL ME AND I WILL SORT IT?
sundamad@aol.com
Sky Sports-SunderMad Exclusive.
Latest topics
» Sunderland v Tranmere Rovers
A view,Questions,positives,negatives? EmptyToday at 2:18 am by Sid MCFC

» To those at the game tonight
A view,Questions,positives,negatives? EmptyYesterday at 11:09 pm by wanderer

» Tests, tests and more bloody tests!
A view,Questions,positives,negatives? EmptyYesterday at 10:27 pm by trouble_n_stripes

» A very good morning one and all
A view,Questions,positives,negatives? EmptyYesterday at 9:55 pm by trouble_n_stripes

» A very happy birthday!
A view,Questions,positives,negatives? EmptyYesterday at 10:54 am by fulwellend47

» Can't say I'm looking forward to Tuesday
A view,Questions,positives,negatives? EmptyYesterday at 9:25 am by Sid MCFC

» Predictions Mid week 12
A view,Questions,positives,negatives? EmptyYesterday at 7:58 am by Lever Malone

» Results week 12
A view,Questions,positives,negatives? Empty2019-10-21, 10:38 pm by Black Cat Kiwi

» Predictions week 13
A view,Questions,positives,negatives? Empty2019-10-21, 6:10 pm by canary-dave

» League table Week 12
A view,Questions,positives,negatives? Empty2019-10-21, 12:31 pm by Jerry the Jinx

A view,Questions,positives,negatives?

Go down

A view,Questions,positives,negatives? Empty A view,Questions,positives,negatives?

Post  oldblackcat on 2016-08-22, 11:08 am

Well this is the day after and I stepped back and took a realistic look at yesterdays game.
Did I expect a win?...no
Why?....Our already thin squad was even thinner.....Borini was injured and Kone might/may have been/wasn't and both were ruled out, but looking at what was left to select from I still thought we might get a draw....my view of how the team did..

Mannone...played ok couldn't do anything with the goals
Love.....Showed his inexperience a couple of times but did ok
O'Shea....age or more specific,injuries have caught up with him.. say what you like but he was a big miss when he had to go off 
Dijilobodji.....was confident he would be ok after reading stats showing he was a better centre back than Kone...good debut showing we have a good player imo
Van Aanholt....better going forward as usual...deserved his goal....people trying to blame him for Boro's 2nd goal...more Rodwell's fault imo

McNair.....tried but looked out of place in the side to me
Rodwell....Overall I thought he played well,was doing ok in midfield til he had to move to centre back...did ok as centre back but sold himself for the 2nd goal

Gooch....thought he had a good game and played much better when he was moved into central midfield in the 2nd half
Watmore....100% effort as usual plenty of direct running
Januzaj.....went past defenders with ease but lacked the final ball...needs to get involved more

Defoe....Not much service but tried hard upfront on his own

Pienaar.....not a central midfielder but did ok there when he came on..despite his age showed he still has a bit to offer
Lens.....did ok... improved the team when he came on but needs to show more to earn his place
Asoro....not enough time to show what he can do

Lets be honest this was a patched up team....I thought defense wise we may have got away with it,as I thought O'Shea's experience would make up for Kone's absence....that went out of the window when he went off injured

Our patched up midfield was thrown into disarray when Rodwell was forced to play centre back when O'Shea went off (I thought Rodwell was doing ok in midfield up till then)...this was when Boro actually came into the game for the first time imo and added their 2nd goal...Moyes re arranged the midfield for the 2nd half and it looked much better with Gooch playing more central

Up front Defoe didn't get much service but toiled away...he either needs a strike partner and/or better service

Moyes obviously tried to keep the formation and changes down to a minimum by keeping two defensive midfielders infront of the back four which is why McNair was playing imo... however Gooch played much better than him when he played there in the 2nd half.Our two wide players in the first half,Gooch and Januzaj needed to switch wings imo...this was shown painfully on a few occasions when Januzaj beat his player easily but was unable to play a killer pass with his "wrong" foot, also both had to check back onto their "good" foot to put crosses in....I think we would get the best out of Januzaj in the "no10" role instead of Watmore anyway, as i think taking away the defensive responsibility and giving him a free role would bring out the best in him.The last thing I would say which is obvious,is that we need another striker as we had no-one to bring on to change things or help Defoe

I'm guessing Moyes kept Lens and Khazri on the bench hoping all the energy and graft of the youngsters kept us in the plastic derby until the 2nd half when he could introduce their pace and skill against tired legs and hopefully to clinch the game.A question I would raise though is,does Moyes prefer graft to skill? The lack of use of Khazri is a puzzle also when he did well at the end of last season for us.

I think a centre back pairing of Kone (if he sorts himself out) and Dijilobodji could be a good one,but we still need another centre back as O'Shea seems to be a bit injury prone and can't be relied on as sole back up to them.

One thing that annoyed me about yesterdays game was the booing of the team at the halftime whistle....yes we had a patched up team that were struggling a bit but how does booing help them?
Also people were pointing out that there were too many youngsters in the team,because of injuries we didn't have much choice...but are these the same people who towards the end of last season were saying play all the youngsters because they would try more?
Moyes has said previously that we are trying to get players in and deals are close,but things don't look good atm and is adding to frustrations of fans....One thing I would like to know with our lack of midfield cover is are we or are we not in for M'Vila? Does Moyes actually want him? or are we not willing to pay the transfer fee and/or wages?

Loads of other things going around in my head atm but what do you lot think??
oldblackcat
oldblackcat
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

A view,Questions,positives,negatives? Empty Re: A view,Questions,positives,negatives?

Post  Guest on 2016-08-22, 11:15 am

I never expected a win.

I thought we would 'give them a game - which we did.

But without any guile I thought it would be difficult to break them down - which it was.

Even if we get a couple of last minute signings at the end of this week, they won't have trained with us, so won't play at Southampton.
Another backs to the wall fight beckons without a dominant back four.
I'm expecting another defeat. Can't see anything else.

We have spent about £13m; that's about our lot I think.

Will Short surprise us and dig deep?

Divvn't be daft!

Very Happy

Back to top Go down

A view,Questions,positives,negatives? Empty Re: A view,Questions,positives,negatives?

Post  paddocklad on 2016-08-22, 12:31 pm

Yes but we have brought in 6m so the net spent is really only 7m and we have chopped hundreds of thousands off the wage bill
paddocklad
paddocklad
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on 2016-08-22, 12:37 pm

I agree with most of what you say OBC, perhaps I think the defensive midfielders McNair and Roswell should have blocked the shot from Boro for their first goal, it was outside the pen area...as for the 2nd I have not watched any replays but at the time I thought Roswell was at fault again. So for me Roswell and McNair are not good enough...Love is perhaps on a par with Jones i.e. barely adequate. Jacuzzi was good and Gooch and Pienaaar were good in the 2nd half, by and large the forwards did well and with cooler heads for the final pass could have had couple of goals.

Defensively and CM we are a shambles and need quality in, likewise we need a quality striker in case Defoe gets injured or to offer something different. Boro did not press their back line high up the pitch so there was little room for Defoe to dart in behind the back four...if we had an alternative big lad up front they would not want to always drop back and give him the chance for a knock on to Defoe

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on 2016-08-22, 1:33 pm

Boro obviously aware that Defoe is our only threat.
He was always surrounded.

Back to top Go down

Post  Mackemneil on 2016-08-22, 1:34 pm

If everyone was fit and willing! Our best 11 would, I feel, Have won that game on Sunday but injuries showed our lack of depth and experience.

For me best 11 is:-

Mannone
Jones Kone Djilabodji Vanman
Cattermole Kirchoff
Borini Januzaj Khazri
Defoe

Squad players: Pickford, O'Shea, Love, McNair, Rodwell, Piennar, Watmore, Gooch, Larsson, Asoro, Lens.

If we can add M'Vila, a right back, another centre back, a centre forward and no.10 things would be looking pretty good. Note only five of that team played on Sunday!! 

I remain optimistic Very Happy
Mackemneil
Mackemneil

http://mackemneil.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  gil t azell on 2016-08-22, 5:08 pm

Mackemneil wrote:If everyone was fit and willing! Our best 11 would, I feel, Have won that game on Sunday but injuries showed our lack of depth and experience.

For me best 11 is:-

Mannone
Jones Kone Djilabodji Vanman
Cattermole Kirchoff
Borini Januzaj Khazri
Defoe

Squad players: Pickford, O'Shea, Love, McNair, Rodwell, Piennar, Watmore, Gooch, Larsson, Asoro, Lens.

If we can add M'Vila, a right back, another centre back, a centre forward and no.10 things would be looking pretty good. Note only five of that team played on Sunday!! 

I remain optimistic Very Happy
I agree with the vast majority of your post MN and although not knocking Vito I would prefer to chance Pickford. Can anyone show me a video where Mannone has ever distributed the ball well to a SAFC player? Pickfords clearances are far superior and I believe he matches Vito in the other goalkeeping departments.
gil t azell
gil t azell
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  Nostalgic on 2016-08-22, 8:47 pm

Their team as been together for at least a season so that was an advantage. Our scratch team lost its leader fairly early in the game and that was an impact. Their first goal was a super strike but seen in slow motion Vito was quarter of an inch away from the ball and it was an inch under the bar when it went in so I doubt if many players will get one like that this season.

The cards were stacked against us and we paid the price, but luck is the one thing you cannot plan for.
Nostalgic
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  Black Cat Kiwi on 2016-08-23, 12:22 am

sunderpitt wrote:I agree with most of what you say OBC, perhaps I think the defensive midfielders McNair and Roswell should have blocked the shot from Boro for their first goal, it was outside the pen area...as for the 2nd I have not watched any replays but at the time I thought Roswell was at fault again. So for me Roswell and McNair are not good enough...Love is perhaps on a par with Jones i.e. barely adequate. Jacuzzi was good and Gooch and Pienaaar were good in the 2nd half, by and large the forwards did well and with cooler heads for the final pass could have had couple of goals.

Defensively and CM we are a shambles and need quality in, likewise we need a quality striker in case Defoe gets injured or to offer something different. Boro did not press their back line high up the pitch so there was little room for Defoe to dart in behind the back four...if we had an alternative big lad up front they would not want to always drop back and give him the chance for a knock on to Defoe

Your being a little hard Sunders.....I watched a local lad on Saturday score two from well outside including from a free-kick 30m out but only for an audacious halfway shot on the fly to fail as it was just tipped over....mind they are amateurs Rolling Eyes

Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum