SunderMad
Why not join in with our small but perfectly formed community?

We are always looking for new members so sign up and join in, its free.

SOME PEOPLE SEEM TO HIT A SNAG WHEN TRYING TO REGISTER! NOT SURE WHY? IF YOU HAVE A PROBLEM EMAIL ME AND I WILL SORT IT?
sundamad@aol.com
Sky Sports-SunderMad Exclusive.
2017/18

Latest topics
» Mr H will be delighted
Today at 8:23 am by talcnturnip

» Grayson out
Today at 8:02 am by cyprussyd

» Brentford v Sunderland Match day thread
Today at 7:33 am by cyprussyd

» Some good news
Yesterday at 7:42 pm by cyprussyd

» Universal Credit
Yesterday at 7:30 pm by cyprussyd

» Sunderland v Bristol City/Bolton
Yesterday at 7:25 pm by sunderpitt

» word is
Yesterday at 6:51 pm by talcnturnip

» Corbyn in Brussels.
Yesterday at 6:18 pm by Silvers

» Tina anybody?
Yesterday at 2:16 pm by cyprussyd

» Big pants
Yesterday at 1:49 pm by gil t azell

Who is online?
In total there are 6 users online :: 3 Registered, 0 Hidden and 3 Guests :: 1 Bot

Kipper, oldblackcat, talcnturnip

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 328 on 2012-09-14, 11:57 am

IDS GONE, FANTASTIC NEWS

View previous topic View next topic Go down

IDS GONE, FANTASTIC NEWS

Post  cyprussyd on 2016-03-18, 10:10 pm

Iain Duncan Smith quits over planned disability benefit changes

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

[size=13]Media captionConservative MP Andrew Percy, who opposed changes to the Personal Independence Payments, said Duncan Smith's resignation was a "big surprise"

Work and Pensions Secretary Iain Duncan Smith has resigned over "indefensible" changes to disability benefits.
It comes amid mounting controversy over £4bn of planned cuts to Personal Independence Payments (PIP), expected to affect 640,000 people.
Mr Duncan Smith said the cuts were a "compromise too far" in a Budget that "benefits higher earning taxpayers".
Earlier, a government source indicated the changes were going to be "kicked into the long grass".
The planned changes apply to the formula the government uses to calculate the daily living component of PIP, which will replace Disability Living Allowance (DLA) and come into effect in January 2017.
Mr Duncan Smith, who was the Conservative Party leader and Leader of the Opposition from 2001 to 2003, said they were a "compromise too far".
[/size]
[size]
"I am unable to watch passively whilst certain policies are enacted in order to meet the fiscal self-imposed restraints that I believe are more and more perceived as distinctly political rather than in the national economic interest," he said [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.].
"Too often my team and I have been pressured in the immediate run up to a budget or fiscal event to deliver yet more reductions to the working-age benefit bill.
"There has been too much emphasis on money-saving exercises and not enough awareness from the Treasury, in particular, that the government's vision of a new welfare-to-work system could not be repeatedly salami-sliced.
"It is therefore with enormous regret that I have decided to resign."
BBC political editor Laura Kuenssberg said: "A senior government official has said there is surprise at Duncan Smith's decision because this policy was worked up by the Treasury and the Department of Work and Pensions.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]Image copyrightPA
"It was being defended this morning, and through today there was a decision to move away from it after discussion in government. One source suggested Iain Duncan Smith's involvement in the campaign to leave the EU may have been a factor in his decision."
Mr Osborne has insisted the "most vulnerable" will still be protected, and that ministers would be talking to colleagues and disability charities to "make sure we get this absolutely right".
In his Budget on Wednesday, Mr Osborne said that the government would be spending an extra £1bn on disability.
However, changes to disability benefits announced [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] suggested the government would save £4.4bn by 2020-21.
Labour's shadow work and pensions secretary Owen Smith suggested Mr Osborne should resign alongside Mr Duncan Smith.
"I confess I think Iain Duncan Smith is protesting a bit too much, as he's already overseen more than £30bn worth of cuts to the disabled in this country, and I think has used the words 'welfare reform' as an excuse for dismantling our social security system over the past six years - there won't be many tears for him," he said.
Mr Duncan Smith was praised by Tory MP and fellow Brexit campaigner Peter Bone, who said: "IDS has always been a man of conviction! Tonight, yet again he put the country first."
Andrew Percy, who had led a Conservative backbench revolt against the PIP cuts, wrote on Twitter: "Credit to IDS. I'll say no more tonight but all is not as it has seemed in the past few days."[/size]

My glass is always half full and occasionally over flowing. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
cyprussyd
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

http://www.sunderlandmad.com

Back to top Go down

Re: IDS GONE, FANTASTIC NEWS

Post  cyprussyd on 2016-03-18, 10:48 pm

This is Jeremy Corbyn’s victory. In one speech he’s blown apart the Tory front bench, made likely two substantial revolts, destroyed the cabinet and made the Tories look like incompetent fools. And the weekend is young: it’s probably not over. IDS’ letter to Cameron draws the logic clearly.

My glass is always half full and occasionally over flowing. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
cyprussyd
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  Hieronymus on 2016-03-18, 11:14 pm

Great news and happy to see this government tearing itself apart. IDS clearly felt he was the one taking all the heat for the latest round of 'welfare' reforms that even he, in all his evilness, could see were never fair, just or agreeable to the majority of the British public. So he has handed the whole mess back to its architect and probably destroyed Osborne's leadership ambitions (and possibly the EU remain campaign) in one fell swoop. Shades of Geoffrey Howe's speech that did for Thatcher and her government! 

But I shall not praise IDS for finally finding some principles, as he has been responsible for over £30bn of cuts that have devastated so many disabled, poor and vulnerable people over the last 6 years.
Hieronymus
Admin Problem Solver
Admin Problem Solver

Back to top Go down

Post  Billy D on 2016-03-18, 11:49 pm

I couldn't give a f*ck.
He should be shot in the cock with a .410 shotgun.
Billy D
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  sunderpitt on 2016-03-19, 7:35 am

Not only has he gone but his manner of going hurts the tories.

IBS thought 'richer' pensioners should shoulder some cuts but Gideon reckoned this could damage the Remain vote. Hence he switched to the disabled...IBS has now thrown a hissy  fit
sunderpitt
Number Cruncher
Number Cruncher

Back to top Go down

Post  cyprussyd on 2016-03-19, 8:45 am

I agree with the majority, this has nothing to do with IDS and conscious and everything to do with the battle for power in the party.

The referendum could be the final straw because in or out the government is split and could fall.

What a kick in the teeth for all the Corbyn haters if he suddenly becomes PM

cyprussyd
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  cyprussyd on 2016-03-19, 8:52 am

Work and Pensions Secretary Iain Duncan Smith has resigned, citing pressure to make cuts to disability benefits. Here is the full text of his letter:
"I am incredibly proud of the welfare reforms that the government has delivered over the last five years. Those reforms have helped to generate record rates of employment and in particular a substantial reduction in workless households.
As you know, the advancement of social justice was my driving reason for becoming part of your ministerial team and I continue to be grateful to you for giving me the opportunity to serve. You have appointed good colleagues to my department who I have enjoyed working with. It has been a particular privilege to work with excellent civil servants and the outstanding Lord Freud and other ministers including my present team, throughout all of my time at the Department of Work and Pensions.
I truly believe that we have made changes that will greatly improve the life chances of the most disadvantaged people in this country and increase their opportunities to thrive. A nation's commitment to the least advantaged should include the provision of a generous safety-net but it should also include incentive structures and practical assistance programmes to help them live independently of the state. Together, we've made enormous strides towards building a system of social security that gets the balance right between state help and self help.
Throughout these years, because of the perilous public finances we inherited from the last Labour administration, difficult cuts have been necessary. I have found some of these cuts easier to justify than others but aware of the economic situation and determined to be a team player I have accepted their necessity.
You are aware that I believe the cuts would have been even fairer to younger families and people of working age if we had been willing to reduce some of the benefits given to better-off pensioners but I have attempted to work within the constraints that you and the chancellor set.
I have for some time and rather reluctantly come to believe that the latest changes to benefits to the disabled and the context in which they've been made are a compromise too far. While they are defensible in narrow terms, given the continuing deficit, they are not defensible in the way they were placed within a Budget that benefits higher earning taxpayers. They should have instead been part of a wider process to engage others in finding the best way to better focus resources on those most in need.
I am unable to watch passively whilst certain policies are enacted in order to meet the fiscal self imposed restraints that I believe are more and more perceived as distinctly political rather than in the national economic interest.
Too often my team and I have been pressured in the immediate run up to a budget or fiscal event to deliver yet more reductions to the working age benefit bill. There has been too much emphasis on money saving exercises and not enough awareness from the Treasury, in particular, that the government's vision of a new welfare-to-work system could not be repeatedly salami-sliced.
It is therefore with enormous regret that I have decided to resign. You should be very proud of what this government has done on deficit reduction, corporate competitiveness, education reforms and devolution of power. I hope as the government goes forward you can look again, however, at the balance of the cuts you have insisted upon and wonder if enough has been done to ensure "we are all in this together".

cyprussyd
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum