SunderMad
Why not join in with our small but perfectly formed community?

We are always looking for new members so sign up and join in, its free.

SOME PEOPLE SEEM TO HIT A SNAG WHEN TRYING TO REGISTER! NOT SURE WHY? IF YOU HAVE A PROBLEM EMAIL ME AND I WILL SORT IT?
sundamad@aol.com
Sky Sports-SunderMad Exclusive.
2017/18

Latest topics
» Results Week 6
Today at 3:31 am by Black Cat Kiwi

» Predictions Week 7
Today at 3:30 am by Black Cat Kiwi

» Mental health
Today at 12:22 am by Hieronymus

» 20% discount offer for season card holder
Yesterday at 11:57 pm by MrRAWhite

» Mark Sampson sacked
Yesterday at 9:23 pm by Nostalgic

» Sunderland v Cardiff City
Yesterday at 5:16 pm by Roker roar

» Everton v Sunderland Carabao Cup-Matchday Thread
Yesterday at 2:56 pm by lesmac

» The smoking gun
Yesterday at 1:55 pm by sunderpitt

» Predicitons Mid week 7
2017-09-20, 11:41 pm by Hieronymus

» Predictions Week 8
2017-09-20, 11:30 pm by Hieronymus

Who is online?
In total there are 12 users online :: 1 Registered, 0 Hidden and 11 Guests

Black Cat Kiwi

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 328 on 2012-09-14, 11:57 am

How to improve Home nations teams

View previous topic View next topic Go down

How to improve Home nations teams

Post  Hieronymus on 2015-07-16, 7:11 pm

Following on from another thread a discussion started about young players not getting their chance in EPL. I thought I would start a new thread using those comments to see if anyone else has any ideas?
Mackemneil wrote:Up to now premier clubs have signed 70 players in this transfer window and only 24 of them originate in UK or Eire!

Very few of those home grown are new young players coming through from lower divisions, most are established players moving sideways.

It would be interesting to know how many premiership academy players made their debuts for Prem teams last season? Not good for UK national teams!
A very good point Mackemneil and one we (English or UK at least) need to get to grips with. 

I have long said that the loan system needs to be changed so that ONLY U21 players can be loaned to teams in the same league. That might stop clubs from getting more senior players than they need and promptly loaning them to other EPL teams, hindering the progress of any young players at that club.

But the pressure of staying in the Premier League (as we know!) means clubs feel forced to buy 'ready made' talent as they are, in theory, less of a risk. 

Personally I would suggest that every team has to field three U21 eligible players at the start of each game, with up to three more on the bench. That would level the playing field alright! I know it will never happen by the way [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Lever Malone wrote:I watched the U21 European finals in June and thought the standard of the England team was pretty poor. So forcing teams to play say three U21 players would lower the quality of play in the Premiership in my opinion.
I suppose this has gone off topic now but I agree that will happen at first, but surely that is exactly my point? Young players are not currently up to standard because they don't get to play alongside the best players on a regular basis. They need that experience to develop, to keep the hunger and desire to improve

I studied psychology and know that the human subconscious is a funny thing. While I am sure that no young player is aware of it, how hard will they really work if they know they will never get picked for the first team? Contrast that with how they may feel and work in training, KNOWING they may be one of three definite young players in the team at the weekend. 

As I said I know it will never happen. TV revenues dictate the EPL is the most attractive in the world and it is too risky to play youngsters. But I have offered a potential soluton to the problem of the home nations underperforming at International level, and young players not getting development opportunities due to clubs buying cheaper foreign imports and lthe current loan system. Probably a topic for another thread but anyone got any better ideas?
Hieronymus
Admin Problem Solver
Admin Problem Solver

Back to top Go down

Re: How to improve Home nations teams

Post  cyprussyd on 2015-07-16, 7:48 pm

Well lets start by agreeing that it's impossible not to have a fair number of kids in the UK who can make it to the top.

So for me its how do we unearth them and bring them through?

Maybe we all share the guilt. Right now we are in a major transfer window but we clamer for players from abroad or proven premier players, a young lad from the championship would be met with,"No ambition" cries.

Teams like city will take them then bench them or loan them out.

Instant success is demanded so the kids don't get time to drvelope.

No idea what the answer is

My glass is always half full and occasionally over flowing. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
cyprussyd
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

http://www.sunderlandmad.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Black Cat Kiwi on 2015-07-18, 11:31 pm

They should travel abroad to gain experience. Seems to work for those traveling to the UK.

Black Cat Kiwi
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  barrowmackem on 2015-07-19, 1:05 pm

I know the answer, take money out of football. TV money has ruined sport in this country, yes i know i am a dreamer but money really has ruined sport. Like has been said young British talent has no chance to develop when clubs are clambering for the finish article to keep the team in the honey pot league. We are all to blame with our Sky subscription or indeed if you watch in the pub. No wonder our national teams are poor as the player pool they have to choose from is dwindling and dwindling. Its a subject that grinds with me. The paying public has the power, withdraw your monetary backing and force the issue, yea right like that's going to happen but it should.  Only the fan can force change. Would football be so attractive to watch in empty stadiums? Short term all the mercenaries will f off  standards will drop, long term our young talent will once again be given a chance to develop and our national sides may once again stand half a chance in tournaments. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
barrowmackem
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  Hieronymus on 2015-07-19, 2:22 pm

barrowmackem wrote:I know the answer, take money out of football. TV money has ruined sport in this country, yes i know i am a dreamer but money really has ruined sport. Like has been said young British talent has no chance to develop when clubs are clambering for the finish article to keep the team in the honey pot league. We are all to blame with our Sky subscription or indeed if you watch in the pub. No wonder our national teams are poor as the player pool they have to choose from is dwindling and dwindling. Its a subject that grinds with me. The paying public has the power, withdraw your monetary backing and force the issue, yea right like that's going to happen but it should.  Only the fan can force change. Would football be so attractive to watch in empty stadiums? Short term all the mercenaries will f off  standards will drop, long term our young talent will once again be given a chance to develop and our national sides may once again stand half a chance in tournaments. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Well said Barrow. I am one of the guilty hypocrites, because while despising Murdoch I love my Sky football and my Soccer Saturday fix. Have even given in and got BT Sport for the coming season Shocked 

Yet I recognise the obsecene amounts of money involved have ruined young players and created the many mercenaries we all pay a fortune to watch. It is an insoluble conundrum I fear, but the whole edifice is built on sand and I still have a feeling the day approaches when the walls will all come tumbling down.
Hieronymus
Admin Problem Solver
Admin Problem Solver

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum