SunderMad
Why not join in with our small but perfectly formed community?

We are always looking for new members so sign up and join in, its free.

SOME PEOPLE SEEM TO HIT A SNAG WHEN TRYING TO REGISTER! NOT SURE WHY? IF YOU HAVE A PROBLEM EMAIL ME AND I WILL SORT IT?
sundamad@aol.com
Sky Sports-SunderMad Exclusive.
Latest topics
» Sunderland vs Benfica B - Thursday 18th July
Fan v Supporter EmptyYesterday at 11:38 pm by Hieronymus

» Got my pass, have you got yours?
Fan v Supporter EmptyYesterday at 9:01 pm by Vincemac

» Good Luck
Fan v Supporter Empty2019-07-17, 8:53 pm by Lever Malone

» Portugal
Fan v Supporter Empty2019-07-17, 4:23 pm by cyprussyd

» SCMP
Fan v Supporter Empty2019-07-16, 6:19 pm by gil t azell

» The Rt Hon David Bowen Esquire
Fan v Supporter Empty2019-07-15, 11:17 pm by Hieronymus

» Wahbi Khazri
Fan v Supporter Empty2019-07-15, 8:44 am by Hieronymus

» Love departs
Fan v Supporter Empty2019-07-14, 9:08 am by barrowmackem

» McGeady
Fan v Supporter Empty2019-07-14, 9:06 am by barrowmackem

» Twitter 1
Fan v Supporter Empty2019-07-12, 5:19 pm by Hieronymus

Fan v Supporter

Go down

Fan v Supporter Empty Fan v Supporter

Post  cyprussyd on 2015-04-13, 12:19 pm

Taken from the 1973 banter page on facebook, do you agree?

Often, the difference between a football fan and a supporter is ticked off as the same concept which is a mistaken ideology. The difference between the 2 terms is principally based on a person's interest on learning the legacies, rivalries and the traditions of a particular club. 
So in essence, a fan is simply someone who casually watches a match regardless of the club's ideologies and worries generally about the outcome of the match. On the other hand, a supporter is a person who honours and respects the club's traditions and sticks with the club at all times irrespective of the outcome of its matches.
Are you a supporter???? 

My glass is always half full and occasionally over flowing. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
cyprussyd
cyprussyd
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

http://www.sunderlandmad.com

Back to top Go down

Fan v Supporter Empty Re: Fan v Supporter

Post  Hieronymus on 2015-04-13, 1:05 pm

I disagree with the definitions. 

Fan comes from 'Fanatic' so fans are the ones that pore over statistics; collect programmes and other memorabilia, care passionately about the history and traditions etc., and stick with their club through thick and thin (and so thin it is only a molecule thick in SAFC's case!) without concern for how much time and money they spend doing so. For example I would say that the two Newcastle lads, killed over Ukraine on flight MH17, were fans as they were literally prepared to go to the other side of the world, for a friendly match, to follow their team.

On the other hand, supporters can be more casual. While they do care about results, have some knowledge of the history and achievements of the club and worry about the team and how they play, they realise there is more to life than football and are not prepared to go to excessive trouble or expense to follow them. That is me I am afraid!

So I am a supporter by my definition, but a fan by the one in the OP.  Laughing
Hieronymus
Hieronymus
Admin Problem Solver
Admin Problem Solver

Back to top Go down

Post  cyprussyd on 2015-04-13, 1:19 pm

Hieronymus wrote:I disagree with the definitions. 

Fan comes from 'Fanatic' so fans are the ones that pore over statistics; collect programmes and other memorabilia, care passionately about the history and traditions etc., and stick with their club through thick and thin (and so thin it is only a molecule thick in SAFC's case!) without concern for how much time and money they spend doing so. For example I would say that the two Newcastle lads, killed over Ukraine on flight MH17, were fans as they were literally prepared to go to the other side of the world, for a friendly match, to follow their team.

On the other hand, supporters can be more casual. While they do care about results, have some knowledge of the history and achievements of the club and worry about the team and how they play, they realise there is more to life than football and are not prepared to go to excessive trouble or expense to follow them. That is me I am afraid!

H, I think I agree with your definition but I have no idea what I am. I go to all home games and will be there for the last two, read and talk about Sunderland all day, collect nothing and now enjoy the day out far more than the game.

My glass is always half full and occasionally over flowing. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
cyprussyd
cyprussyd
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on 2015-04-14, 4:44 pm

I think you're right about the fan (fanatical). However, I think supporters are those who physicals follow the team and go to matches. Most people can describe themselves as fans and supporters. However, fanatically you may be about the club you may not be able to go to SoL (or away games) to support the lads...

Back to top Go down

Post  cyprussyd on 2015-04-14, 4:46 pm

Siddall wrote:

I think you're right about the fan (fanatical). However, I think supporters are those who physicals follow the team and go to matches. Most people can describe themselves as fans and supporters. However, fanatically you may be about the club you may not be able to go to SoL (or away games) to support the lads...
Well shame on you, are there no trains from Dorset on a weekend  Rolling Eyes

cyprussyd
cyprussyd
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on 2015-04-14, 6:22 pm

Shocked Grockle...

Back to top Go down

Post  cyprussyd on 2015-04-14, 6:30 pm

Siddall wrote:Shocked Grockle...
Grockle' is an informal and often slightly derogatory term for a tourist. It was first popularized because of its use by the characters in the film The System (1964), .

cyprussyd
cyprussyd
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on 2015-04-14, 6:31 pm

Well I don't see any difference tbh.
Some people work/live away. Some might work weekend shifts. Some can't afford to go.
Does that make them love the club any less than those who go home & away?
Not in my opinion it doesn't.

Back to top Go down

Post  cyprussyd on 2015-04-14, 6:41 pm

I think it is beyond any argument that the very best fans/supporters go to all home games but miss some cup games. Never go to away games, sit quietly in the East Stand and go on nights out.

All the rest are just glory hunters

cyprussyd
cyprussyd
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  Hieronymus on 2015-04-14, 7:18 pm

cyprussyd wrote:I think it is beyond any argument that the very best fans/supporters go to all home games but miss some cup games. Never go to away games, sit quietly in the East Stand and go on nights out.

All the rest are just glory hunters
Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Hieronymus
Hieronymus
Admin Problem Solver
Admin Problem Solver

Back to top Go down

Post  trouble_n_stripes on 2015-04-14, 8:21 pm

I would say a supporter is someone who actually goes to see their team play, does not have to be
week in week out but makes the effort to go.

A fan to me is someone who has an avid interest in a particular club but are unable to go and
support that club due to circumstances.
trouble_n_stripes
trouble_n_stripes
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum