SunderMad
Why not join in with our small but perfectly formed community?

We are always looking for new members so sign up and join in, its free.

SOME PEOPLE SEEM TO HIT A SNAG WHEN TRYING TO REGISTER! NOT SURE WHY? IF YOU HAVE A PROBLEM EMAIL ME AND I WILL SORT IT?
sundamad@aol.com
Sky Sports-SunderMad Exclusive.
2017/18

Latest topics
» SUNDERLAND V FULHAM--The Match Day Thread
Today at 9:59 am by Sid MCFC

» Predictions Week 17
Yesterday at 7:19 pm by oldblackcat

» In plain English please
Yesterday at 6:15 pm by cyprussyd

» Club sale close
Yesterday at 1:18 pm by sunderpitt

» Hi-ho
Yesterday at 9:14 am by Billy D

» Results of week 17 and fixtures for week 18
2017-12-14, 8:05 pm by Mackemneil

» Jerry will be happy
2017-12-14, 7:37 pm by Hieronymus

» BRING A TIN
2017-12-14, 9:24 am by Billy D

» League Table Week 16
2017-12-14, 1:37 am by Black Cat Kiwi

» Results Week 16
2017-12-14, 1:34 am by Black Cat Kiwi

Who is online?
In total there are 9 users online :: 1 Registered, 0 Hidden and 8 Guests :: 2 Bots

canary-dave

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 328 on 2012-09-14, 11:57 am

The SunderMad Blog..Where did it all go wrong?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

The SunderMad Blog..Where did it all go wrong?

Post  cyprussyd on 2015-03-21, 9:20 am

SunderMad Blog

Over my many years of following this rag tag and bobtail outfit called Sunderland AFC I have had a few ups and many, many downs.

Owners have come and gone, players have in the main flattered to deceive and the management merry go round has been steady revving up to full speed over that last few years.

The latest casualty is one Gustavo Augusto Poyet, he came, he excelled then he fizzled out, where did it all go wrong?

Well I have never been short of opinions so here is mine.

Poyet came at a time when things looked bleak, form was bad, moral was shot and the Di Canio whirl wind had blown through the club leaving destruction everywhere. Views were mixed on Poyet's appointment but after a bad start we played Newcastle and the sun shone again.

Poyet quickly won over all but his sternest critics, a cup run followed and I remember well sitting alone in my lounge, tears streaming down my face has the realisation hit, I was going to Wembley.

Fans of more successful clubs and indeed younger fans wont get it but when you are approaching your 66th year ad you support Sunderland, Wembley trips are distant dreams, dreams you know will never come true.

So the tears flowed and I will forever be grateful to Poyet for making that one dream into a reality.

Following Wembley things became real boys own stuff and the unbelievable miracle was about to happen, premier safety was assured, we loved Gus, Gus loved us.

We all looked ahead, a summer transfer window to enjoy and a boring mid table finish ahead, bliss.

The first cracks stared with the saga of Borini, Gus knew he was coming, it was all about timing. Alonso and Ki were both ours, again it was just rubber stamping things, add in Ashley Williams to shore up our defence and we could all see the team we wanted starting to take shape.

Well we soon discovered that maybe the plan had a flaw, Williams signed a new contract at Swansea, Ki's moved just never got near, Alonso was coming but never arrived and Borini, well least said the better.

Gus is a winner and it seems could not lose but added to the players who would not be coming we had two more problems. Coleback and Bardsley who he wanted to stay both left and his savours, his prime targets who he knew well, Bridcutt and Buckley were about to fall short of his expectation.
Looking back we can see the cracks starting to appear, Gus was still a winner and could not lose, so he didnt, he found others to blame.

His first target was a target that would prove to be a bad one, Congleton, the man who would eventually find his replacement and force him out.

Poyets insistence that it was Congleton and not himself who picked the transfer targets did not match with the signings of Buckley and Bridcutt, two Poyet players from Brighton.

He seemed determined to prove us all wrong and kept playing these two players and telling us how they would succeed, hey never have.

Despite his best efforts mistakes continued to be made, wins became more and more elusive, pressure mounted and more cracks appeared.

Next on the hit list came me and the other loyal fans who did not understand, had unrealistic exception and yearned for a return to the days of Quinn and SKP.

Pressure continued to mount and the media were next to take the blame, results did not improve and team selection and tactics became more and more extreme.

Finally in January a break through, one that would see the meltdown end with Poyets sacking.

Defoe arrived, a proven goal scorer who would save our season, his signing became a major problem for Gus.

It seemed that Gus was lost, all he wanted was Defoe up front and, well it was the and that did for him, his lack of a plan B resulted in him abandoning his plan A.

In trying to accommodate Defoe he lost the strong defence that had had least brought draws and we quickly gave up on 4-4-2 and returned to 4-5-1 but our 1 up front was now Defoe and his goal scoring ability was nullified.

Over the last few games we had the head scratching team selection that saw a midfield of 4 defensive midfielder's, unsurprisingly it did not work.

Possible the biggest sign that all was lost was when our first choice number 9 was a player we had unsuccessful tried to flog for a knock down cut price 1m.

It seems to me that Gus had a blueprint of how to play successful attractive winning football but when the realisation hit that we did not have the players who could play that stile he realised he was out of his depth.

Winners cant lose so in the end he made sure it was not his fault, the club let him down by sacking him, not getting the right players and we fans in the end let him down by walking out against Villa.

Its all our fault in the end, never theirs.

Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

http://www.sunderlandmad.com

Back to top Go down

Re: The SunderMad Blog..Where did it all go wrong?

Post  Hieronymus on 2015-03-21, 12:47 pm

Good blog again Syd, can't argue with any of that. 

Gus was his own worst enemy in the end, not any of the others he targeted as reasons for the lack of success. 

Hopefully this period of self reflection will allow him time to work on mitigating the character flaws he showed in his tenure here, and if he can be honest with himself, help him to become a better manager in the future. 

Or maybe not?
Hieronymus
Admin Problem Solver
Admin Problem Solver

Back to top Go down

Post  oldblackcat on 2015-03-21, 1:34 pm

Looking further back in time.....

Maybe 1958 when we were relegated for the first time and lost our record of being the only team never to play outside the top division

or closer.....

When money started to rule the game....

Because of teams that pumped money into the teams and got success quickly...some short term, like Leeds and long term like Chelsea and now probably Man City, fans and chairmen have little patience....it wasn't too long ago Wenger and Rogers were under pressure as fans wanted them out. The chairmen of the respective clubs resisted the calls for their heads and they have turned things around....here at Sunderland the last manager that I can remember that was given time was Peter Reid....we were Promoted, relegated and then missed out in the play offs before finally getting promoted again......I'm not saying giving De Canio, O'Neil and now Poyet more time would necessarily  have been a good thing, but I think having more thought and idea of what type of manager we wanted and how we wanted them to develop the team before we appointed them is where things went wrong and always will
oldblackcat
Quizmaster
Quizmaster

Back to top Go down

Post  cyprussyd on 2015-03-21, 1:53 pm

oldblackcat wrote:Looking further back in time.....

Maybe 1958 when we were relegated for the first time and lost our record of being the only team never to play outside the top division

or closer.....

Because of teams that pumped money into the teams and got success quickly...some short term, like Leeds and long term like Chelsea and now probably Man City, fans and chairmen have little patience....it wasn't too long ago Wenger and Rogers were under pressure as fans wanted them out. The chairmen of the respective clubs resisted the calls for their heads and they have turned things around....here at Sunderland the last manager that I can remember that was given time was Peter Reid....we were Promoted, relegated and then missed out in the play offs before finally getting promoted again......I'm not saying giving De Canio, O'Neil and now Poyet more time would necessarily  have been a good thing, but I think having more thought and idea of what type of manager we wanted and how we wanted them to develop the team before we appointed them is where things went wrong and always will
If we appoint Big Sam, would not upset me but, would that be a short term appointment.

A Maclaren or a Clement could be long term providing we set out a plan and stick to it

Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

http://www.sunderlandmad.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Nostalgic on 2015-03-21, 8:16 pm

oldblackcat wrote:Looking further back in time.....

or closer.....

Swansea appear to have found the key by electing to play a certain way and promote from within. Laudrup turned out to be possibly a clash of personalities but did not last long before they reverted. Admittedly the building took place in the lower divisions but they are a good example of running a club within its means.

Nostalgic
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum