SunderMad
Why not join in with our small but perfectly formed community?

We are always looking for new members so sign up and join in, its free.

SOME PEOPLE SEEM TO HIT A SNAG WHEN TRYING TO REGISTER! NOT SURE WHY? IF YOU HAVE A PROBLEM EMAIL ME AND I WILL SORT IT?
sundamad@aol.com
Sky Sports-SunderMad Exclusive.
2017/18

Latest topics
» Quiz 76
Yesterday at 11:23 pm by Hieronymus

» MAJA GOAL
Yesterday at 9:49 pm by gil t azell

» A heart warming win.. next target?
Yesterday at 7:43 pm by barrowmackem

» Bradley Lowery to be honoured at SPOTY
Yesterday at 7:33 pm by canary-dave

» In plain English please
Yesterday at 5:18 pm by gil t azell

» Thoroughly ashamed
Yesterday at 5:15 pm by gil t azell

» Newcastle in, Sunderland and West Ham OUT
Yesterday at 2:07 pm by sunderpitt

» SUNDERLAND V BIRMINGHAM.
Yesterday at 1:25 pm by Billy D

» SUNDERLAND V FULHAM--The Match Day Thread
2017-12-16, 9:46 pm by sunderpitt

» 80 is special
2017-12-16, 8:59 pm by Nostalgic

Who is online?
In total there are 13 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 13 Guests :: 1 Bot

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 328 on 2012-09-14, 11:57 am

The Blog-When did it all Change?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

The Blog-When did it all Change?

Post  cyprussyd on 2015-01-23, 7:41 am

SunderMad Blog

Today's world is a very different place from the one I grew up in, well you would expect that, progress cant be stopped. Mind I have to say that when I look out from my home in the village that time has forgot, I do wonder if all progress really has progressed.

But the thing I am thinking about is work, and the declaration of Human Rights, article 23 says..

1. Everyone has the right to work, to free choice of employment, to just and favourable conditions of work and to protection against unemployment.

I read that, and to be honest many things in the Declaration of Human Rights and think, good idea but.

Then I go back to 1964, the year I left school and I had no thought of unemployment, none at all. We had no clever people to come and help or advise, my career path at school was more or less decided at at one meeting in my final year.

My parents were invited to a meeting with my career teacher, well he was just a teacher who was lumbered with taking the meeting. In my house this was a job for my mother, my dad was always far to busy working to deal with these minor inconveniences. Now that makes my dad sound uncaring but nothing could be further from the truth, he was a loving caring man but roles were clearly defined in my home, school visits and church were very much my mothers domain, she would collect information then they would discuss it.

I should add that these were the days of grammar schools and I was at a secondary modern so the career meeting will have been very different I think in the grammar school.

Anyway mine was simple, did I want to do manual work, clerical work, commerce or skilled work? The options were clear..

MAUNAL WORK

CLERICAL WORK
Apply to The Department for National Savings in Durham

COMMERCE
Apply to work in the coop

SKILLED
A choice, apprenticeship at the pit or enrol on a pre apprentice course at Durham Technical College.

The option, sign on the dole never came up, it was just not an option or ever thought to be one.

Now the teacher did guide the choice because he knew that sitting at a desk and thinking, writing and spelling may not be my thing. Hard manual graft was out and standing serving at the coop was not me. A little aside, some of my happiest days were spent many years later standing in a shop I owned in Scarborough selling cheap tat to holiday makers from Leeds and Newcastle.

I opted for college and near the end of that year applied for 2 apprenticeships and got both, I had a choice.

I remember at the end of my apprenticeship in 1971 I would change jobs a number of times and move for better pay or just a change, employment was never a problem.

I'm sure that my story is the story of many, maybe a different career path, maybe university but all ending up in full employment in the end.

A far cry from today when I see so many young lives in danger of been put on the scrap heap before they start, not because they have failed but because society seems to have failed them.

So, where did it all go wrong, when did we change from full employment to a government being triumphant because unemployment figures have fallen to ONLY 1.9 million. Yes that's the great news, only 1.9 million people have no job, no income, no future, no hope.

Many will point to Thatchers Britain and the miners strike of 84/85 and there can be little doubt that the strike and its affects in the area I live, the Durham coal fields have changed the landscape and prospects of the communities forever. If my career path was being discussed today it would be a very different conversation.

Mines, well there are none so that option is out.
Coop, still there but a very slimmed down place offering in the main part time work rather than long term career.
National Savings, still there but again in a very slimmed down form with a once bustling office building now looking old, tired and empty.
The Technical College is now a community College and all the kids leaving school, well I feel for them all.

But the rot started long before Thatcher and in many ways our great progress in the way we communicate and indeed in the way we work has been a major factor in our downfall. The world is a much smaller place and our old colonies we once lorded over now make things quicker and cheaper and in doing so are, IMO, preparing us for our next disaster.

We love the fact that we can now go on holiday with a complete new wardrobe of cheap very affordable clothes from Primark, George at Asda, Tesco but we give little thought to the price we pay, not the cost of that skirt but the real price.

That affordable skirt cost someone a life in unsafe squalid working conditions in some far away land, out of sight they say. But because our global economy can enable the big shops in the UK to import clothes cheaper than they can get them here it means unemployment for the garment makers in Yorkshire, Manchester, the North East.

The answers easy, stop buying the goods and buy British, a good idea, if you can afford it but, sadly many cant, austerity seems to always hit the poorest the hardest.

We now see the beginning of the next change, IMO with our ever changing shopping habits, progress again.

I remember when every village was a vibrant place, the butcher, baker, DIY shop, newsagents and you knew the people serving and they knew you, still like that in Coxhoe BTW.

Our towns and cities were also vibrant places and a Saturday in town was a full days adventure. Then we got The Metro Centre and all the mini metro centres. Supermarkets grew, Fine Fare became Tesco and Tesco became Teco Extra, open all hours.

We loved them, could not get enough, a full months shopping, all in one store and cheap. We gave little or no thought as our village hearts were ripped out then our towns and cities became home of the charity shop, we had Tesco.

Then these funny little stores arrived, foreign sounding names like Lidl and Adli, stores for very poor people, not our concern.

Suddenly, CRASH, we all became poor so we all had to join the other poor people in these strange stores. The first time can be an embarrassment because you get to checkout and everything is thrown back in the trolley you just emptied and no bags.

Now we are starting to find out the real cost of our 24 hour, cheap for all shopping trip and the latest casualty is the dairy farmer. I know, cant feel sorry for farmers in there 4x4 cars and big houses. But if they stop farming what will happen to their farms? Well maybe they will be next on Escape to the Country when some rich banker will be looking to buy it from that rich developer who has made it a new little community for rich people,

I have moved a long way from my question of, When did it all change, well have I?

Maybe the answer is it keeps changing and its not Thatchers fault or Cameron's, its ours or maybe its just how it is, the rich get richer, the poor get poorer and the majority in the middle may complain about the rich but their real concern is not becoming one of the poor so we continue with our search for a bargain not because we don t care about the poor but because we do care about our families more.

Maybe we are just selfish or maybe we are simply human, I don t know any more and I don't have the answers.

I want my old life and values back but I don t want to give up my central heating and Sky Sport. I want to ensure my local business's thrive to keep the village alive but Tesco is so convenient.

For such clever people that we can improve so many things in life we are sure adept at making a right mess of so much.

Still, lets be positive, Defoe may get his first goals tomorrow, lets concentrate on that and we can put the world to rights on Sunday.

Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

http://www.sunderlandmad.com

Back to top Go down

Interesting....

Post  bloodyYank on 2015-01-23, 8:56 am

An interesting commentary to say the least. I suppose many of the old timers feel the same this side of the pond; although we'd certainly chafe against being told what jobs we could have. We never were very good at being told what to do.

But you're right, all will be made right by Defoe.

What's a coop anyway?
bloodyYank

Back to top Go down

Re: The Blog-When did it all Change?

Post  cyprussyd on 2015-01-23, 9:23 am

bloodyYank wrote:An interesting commentary to say the least. I suppose many of the old timers feel the same this side of the pond; although we'd certainly chafe against being told what jobs we could have. We never were very good at being told what to do.

What's a coop anyway?
Welcome and you get it wrong, it was not being told what to do it was village life back then. The coop is the Cooperative Society, The Store just back from the one in the village.

http://www.co-operative.coop/

Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

http://www.sunderlandmad.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Black Cat Kiwi on 2015-01-23, 9:04 pm

cyprussyd wrote:
bloodyYank wrote:An interesting commentary to say the least. I suppose many of the old timers feel the same this side of the pond; although we'd certainly chafe against being told what jobs we could have. We never were very good at being told what to do.

What's a coop anyway?
Welcome and you get it wrong, it was not being told what to do it was village life back then. The coop is the Cooperative Society, The Store just back from the one in the village.

http://www.co-operative.coop/

That's the one, where they sell chickens  tongue

Black Cat Kiwi
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum: