SunderMad
Why not join in with our small but perfectly formed community?

We are always looking for new members so sign up and join in, its free.

SOME PEOPLE SEEM TO HIT A SNAG WHEN TRYING TO REGISTER! NOT SURE WHY? IF YOU HAVE A PROBLEM EMAIL ME AND I WILL SORT IT?
sundamad@aol.com
Sky Sports-SunderMad Exclusive.
Latest topics
» Favourites
Help Required..Cattermole EmptyYesterday at 6:38 pm by Gordon Armstrong

» Retained List
Help Required..Cattermole Empty2019-06-16, 8:40 pm by Black Cat Kiwi

» Lee Cattermole
Help Required..Cattermole Empty2019-06-16, 9:30 am by Black Cat Kiwi

» I fell for that!
Help Required..Cattermole Empty2019-06-14, 10:37 am by canary-dave

» Sunderland Legends
Help Required..Cattermole Empty2019-06-14, 9:40 am by Hieronymus

» Molyneux gone
Help Required..Cattermole Empty2019-06-14, 9:33 am by Hieronymus

» what would you do?
Help Required..Cattermole Empty2019-06-14, 8:28 am by Kipper

» Killing the golden goose
Help Required..Cattermole Empty2019-06-12, 9:21 am by Black Cat Kiwi

» Its happened
Help Required..Cattermole Empty2019-06-12, 8:56 am by cyprussyd

» Takeover
Help Required..Cattermole Empty2019-06-11, 8:51 am by Kipper

Help Required..Cattermole

Go down

Help Required..Cattermole Empty Help Required..Cattermole

Post  cyprussyd on 2014-11-30, 5:23 am

I am making a list of all the English footballers, playing anywhere in the world, who are better than Lee Cattermole in the holding midfield position.

I have started my list but am now stuck, can you add any names you can think of please.

1. Stuck

Last edited by cyprussyd on 2014-12-01, 3:39 am; edited 1 time in total

My glass is always half full and occasionally over flowing. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
cyprussyd
cyprussyd
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

http://www.sunderlandmad.com

Back to top Go down

Help Required..Cattermole Empty Re: Help Required..Cattermole

Post  Guest on 2014-11-30, 5:29 am

1. Er
2. Errm
3. Er

Sorry mate can't help.

Back to top Go down

Post  cyprussyd on 2014-11-30, 5:36 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

My glass is always half full and occasionally over flowing. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
cyprussyd
cyprussyd
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on 2014-11-30, 5:43 am

Only if he ditches that small club up Norff though.

Back to top Go down

Post  cyprussyd on 2014-11-30, 6:10 am

talcnturnip wrote:Only if he ditches that small club up Norff though.
Thought it was Colback who joined Newcastle

cyprussyd
cyprussyd
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on 2014-11-30, 7:42 am

Ha ha see your unrelenting wit is sharp as ever mate.
Apparently in the England mindset Colback is better than Catts so maybe there is no North East bias just a Sunderland bias.

Back to top Go down

Post  sunderpitt on 2014-11-30, 10:03 am

cyprussyd wrote:I am making a list of all the English footballers, playing anywhere in the world, who are better than Lee Cattermole in the holding midfield position.

I have started my list but am now stuck, can you add any names you can think of please.

1. Stuck

I see what you did there
sunderpitt
sunderpitt
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on 2014-11-30, 7:23 pm

Fool, why don't you just call WOY, He can tell you. Simple really.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on 2014-11-30, 9:52 pm

What really boiled my p!ss was when Woy went on about "now that he's joined a proper club" just as he was called up.

Back to top Go down

Post  barrowmackem on 2014-11-30, 11:21 pm

lets face it the FA are all southerners so have and always will have a bias to southern teams, the manager is doing there bidding, a yes man if you want. Thats why Cloughie never got the job, if he had we would have won the world cup more than once. He cant really ignore the big Lancashire teams but generally its all about darn sarf.
barrowmackem
barrowmackem
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  cyprussyd on 2014-12-01, 3:39 am

Lee Cattermole is looked down on by football's snobs but his stats are a match for Sergio Busquets, Xabi Alonso and Co... big things lie ahead for the Sunderland man

• Sunderland's Lee Cattermole has been in superb form this season

• On Saturday against Chelsea he thwarted the league leaders superbly

• He's made more recoveries, clearances and blocks than Blaise Matuidi, Xabi Alonso, Sergio Busquets and Daniele De Rossi before Sunday

• Mark Noble is another midfielder who may feel overlooked by his country

• Frank Lampard is a winner, and will want to pip Chelsea to the title 

By JAMIE REDKNAPP FOR THE DAILY MAIL
PUBLISHED: 22:36, 30 November 2014 UPDATED: 01:44, 1 December 2014

There are a lot of snobs in football who look down their noses at players like Lee Cattermole. Against Chelsea, the Sunderland man was magnificent.
I spoke to Gus Poyet on Sky’s Saturday Night Football after the game and he was waxing lyrical about the job Cattermole does for the team.
With his black boots on and his fighting style, he’s an old-school player. He scraps for every ball but his reputation precedes him. His disciplinary record is poor, but that comes from playing on the edge 

Sunderland's Lee Cattermole vies for the ball with Chelsea central midfielder Cesc Fabregas

Cattermole collected the North East Football Writers' Player of the Year award on Sunday evening

One thing is for certain: he’s not one for the purists.
We are not blessed with many top defensive midfielders in this country but Cattermole is more than holding his own against some of Europe’s best this season.
Our table below shows how defensively he is matching the likes of Sergio Busquets and Daniele de Rossi. I’m not saying he is at the same level as them, but he should not be dismissed out of hand.
Against Chelsea he showed he can perform against the very best. Some people will never be convinced, but if he can curb that aggression then maybe even bigger things lie ahead.

[size=18]Sportsmail's Big Match Stats: Sunderland 0-0 Chelsea

[/size]

Cattermole's defensive statistics from midfield are up there with the best of the European leagues (*before Sunday night's matches in Europe)

Cattermole is matching the likes of Sergio Busquets (left) and Xabi Alonso (right) with defensive stats

Sunderland boss Gus Poyet was full of praise for his 'exceptional' midfielder after the game

Cattermole in action for England Under 21s in 2009, but the midfielder has never played for the senior side

West Ham's Noble cause
Lee Cattermole is not the only Englishman who might feel overlooked by his country.
Mark Noble is West Ham’s Mr Consistent.
You would do well to find a player in the Premier League who gives more for his team than Noble, but he’s a quality player, too.
He’s another who does not jump out as an obvious talent but he does an excellent job in a team that is going places this season.
He will have seen Stewart Downing head off for England duty and Fabian Delph and Jack Colback have been called up recently. Noble might rightly be wondering when it will be his turn.

Mark Noble is another midfielder who is pushing Roy Hodgson for an England call-up

Frank gunning for Chelsea
Frank Lampard's move to Man City raised a few eyebrows, but it’s been a move that has benefited both parties.
Aside from his equaliser against his old club, the deal has not really hampered Chelsea and it has certainly helped City.
Who wouldn’t want the greatest goalscoring midfielder in Premier League history in their squad? 

Frank Lampard gives his approval to the Manchester City fans after the 3-0 win over Southampton 

Lampard's shot flew past Maya Yoshida and Fraser Forster before hitting the back of the net

After scoring at Southampton he now has 174 PL goals — one behind Thierry Henry. That is an incredible record.
No doubt he’s looking forward to his American adventure but right now he will be focused on one thing: hunting down Chelsea.
He’ll say all the right things in public but make no mistake, Frank is a winner. He’d love nothing more than to help City beat Chelsea to the title.

cyprussyd
cyprussyd
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  Hieronymus on 2014-12-01, 11:07 am

Never had much time for Jamie Rednapp but I may start to listen to him a but more now if he can get some praise for Cattermole into the Daily Fail!

But I am worried now because if Cattermole does get a chance for England what will happen next? Injured, head turned or 'big' club starts chasing him  affraid
Hieronymus
Hieronymus
Admin Problem Solver
Admin Problem Solver

Back to top Go down

Post  sunderpitt on 2014-12-01, 11:48 am

He is just what the gooners need! but Wenger would never buy him
sunderpitt
sunderpitt
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on 2014-12-01, 12:09 pm

How many red cards have Alonso, etc, had this season ?

Behave boy and you're in.

Or do what all NE boys do to "Succeed," move away.

Back to top Go down

Post  MrRAWhite on 2014-12-01, 3:54 pm

England can't keep ignoring him if he maintains his current form..

Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on 2014-12-01, 4:04 pm

Wanna bet?

Back to top Go down

Post  gil t azell on 2014-12-01, 4:13 pm

MrRAWhite wrote:England can't keep ignoring him if he maintains his current form..
From a purely selfish point of view I hope they do keep ignoring him. I want him for SAFC and not risking getting injured for England.
He might just might get a meaningless friendly game where the" established England stars, funny in itself" don't want to know but when it comes to the qualifiers etc its a closed shop for the Landaan and Manchester clubs players.

I am probably one of the most patriotic Englishman you can meet but until they get a manager with a pair of town halls and not a yes man they can leave our players alone as far as I'm concerned.
gil t azell
gil t azell
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  cyprussyd on 2014-12-01, 4:13 pm

TBH after listening to his interview on Sky after the game I can see why he is not picked.

That smoggy accent is terrible, it really is.

cyprussyd
cyprussyd
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Help Required..Cattermole Empty REDKNAP ON CATS

Post  Guest on 2014-12-01, 6:00 pm

Lee Cattermole is looked down on by football's snobs but his stats are a match for Sergio Busquets, Xabi Alonso and Co... big things lie ahead for the Sunderland man

• Sunderland's Lee Cattermole has been in superb form this season
  • On Saturday against Chelsea he thwarted the league leaders superbly
  • He's made more recoveries, clearances and blocks than Blaise Matuidi, Xabi Alonso, Sergio Busquets and Daniele De Rossi before Sunday
  • Mark Noble is another midfielder who may feel overlooked by his country
  • Frank Lampard is a winner, and will want to pip Chelsea to the title 

By Jamie Redknapp for the Daily Mail
Published: 22:36, 30 November 2014  | Updated: 12:14, 1 December 2014

There are a lot of snobs in football who look down their noses at players like Lee Cattermole. Against Chelsea, the Sunderland man was magnificent.

I spoke to Gus Poyet on Sky’s Saturday Night Football after the game and he was waxing lyrical about the job Cattermole does for the team.

With his black boots on and his fighting style, he’s an old-school player. He scraps for every ball but his reputation precedes him. His disciplinary record is poor, but that comes from playing on the edge.

VIDEO Scroll down for Lee Catermole wins the North East FWA Player of the Year award 

Help Required..Cattermole 2398D7C000000578-2854508-Sunderland_s_Cattermole_vies_for_the_ball_with_Chelsea_central_m-2_1417376642799

• SHARE PICTURE

Copy link to paste in your message

+20
Sunderland's Lee Cattermole vies for the ball with Chelsea central midfielder Cesc Fabregas

Help Required..Cattermole 239A00DD00000578-2855168-Cattermole_collected_the_North_East_Football_Writers_Player_of_t-37_1417392810658

Help Required..Cattermole 239F724000000578-2855168-Cattermole_with_the_award-39_1417392840099

Cattermole collected the North East Football Writers' Player of the Year award on Sunday evening

One thing is for certain: he’s not one for the purists.

We are not blessed with many top defensive midfielders in this country but Cattermole is more than holding his own against some of Europe’s best this season.

Our table below shows how defensively he is matching the likes of Sergio Busquets and Daniele de Rossi. I’m not saying he is at the same level as them, but he should not be dismissed out of hand.

Against Chelsea he showed he can perform against the very best. Some people will never be convinced, but if he can curb that aggression then maybe even bigger things lie ahead.

Lee Catermole wins the North East FWA Player of the Year award

Help Required..Cattermole Video-undefined-23A25A2400000578-820_638x360

Cattermole's defensive statistics from midfield are up there with the best of the European leagues (*before Sunday night's matches in Europe)

Help Required..Cattermole 18D89D5300000578-0-image-84_1417376887304

Help Required..Cattermole 09F58AC100000514-0-image-83_1417376879828

Cattermole is matching the likes of Sergio Busquets (left) and Xabi Alonso (right) with defensive stats

Help Required..Cattermole 239A076800000578-0-image-69_1417303352513

Sunderland boss Gus Poyet was full of praise for his 'exceptional' midfielder after the game

Help Required..Cattermole 02F776A500000578-0-image-87_1417376902671

Cattermole in action for England Under 21s in 2009, but the midfielder has never played for the senior team.

Help Required..Cattermole 239EE64200000578-2855168-image-12_1417386203801

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2855168/JAMIE-REDKNAPP-Lee-Cattermole-looked-football-s-snobs-big-things-lie-ahead.html

Last edited by billofengland on 2014-12-01, 6:05 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : MISSED OUT THE STATS)

Back to top Go down

Help Required..Cattermole Empty Quinn's words for Catts

Post  cyprussyd on 2014-12-02, 4:13 pm

Quinn's words for Catts

Published: 02 December, 2014
by Oscar Chamberlain

We sit down with Niall Quinn to discuss Lee Cattermole's influence on Wearside.
On Sunday club legend Niall Quinn had a front-row seat at the North East Sports’ Writers Awards, where Lee Cattermole picked the prestigious Player of the Year accolade.
The former player, manager, chairman and director knows exactly what it takes to have a big impact on Wearside, and he believes there is none more deserving that Cattermole to scoop an award that encompasses all of the qualities needed to become part of Wearside folklore.
Lee is standing out now and he is a shining example of what a real Sunderland player should be about
- Niall Quinn

Quinn, who won the award twice, spoke exclusively to safc.com at the awards to offer a unique insight into Cattermole’s growing influence at the club, explaining that the midfielder’s personal development has seen him become a key driving force both on and off the pitch.
“That maturity has come and his value to the club is immeasurable,” explained Quinn. “I remember Martin O’Neill running to Lee after the Manchester City game [in 2012] when he had completely man-marked and overrun Yaya Toure.
“That hug after the game showed that Martin knew his importance to the team at that point. Steve Bruce always talked highly of Catts and now Gus sees his value.”
He continued: “He wants to drive the club forward and it’s great to see awards like this because he deserves it. I think Lee will go from strength to strength from here.
“I think it’s helped having John O’Shea and Wes Brown around – they’ve played in hundreds and hundreds of games, but Lee is standing out now and he is a shining example of what a real Sunderland player should be about.”
Quinn’s involvement in football has continued since his Sunderland departure through media work with Sky Sports, and as someone who still keeps a close eye on the club he believes the midfielder can make a push into the England set-up.
“He’d played an awful lot of games before coming here and he’s only 26 years of age. There’s so much ahead of him and some players are only getting going at 26, so to have that maturity at his age is very rare.
“He should look to remind the England set-up that there will be a certain games in which they need a holding midfielder, when they are not all out to win and be this great attacking team that people expect them to be.”
He continued: “There will be games where a defensive midfielder is required, maybe bigger games away from home, and he could be ideal.
“Lee has to play himself into that and, in my opinion, he has to think to himself that it’s there for him, so he has to remind Roy Hodgson every time he plays that, if he wants a holding midfielder to do something a little bit different, then he’s the man to be picked.
“That maturity will help Lee to do that but he has to believe in himself. I’m delighted for him and I think it’s probably the most exciting time of his career.”
The former Republic of Ireland target man went on to hail Gus Poyet’s involvement in Cattermole’s progression, stating that the Uruguayan has given the 26-year-old the platform to realise his undoubted potential.
“Gus has had a big impact. He’s helped Lee and showed him how to be at his most effective in the modern Barclays Premier League.
It’s a big game on Wednesday and a tough one. Catts has set the standard and I expect the players around him are expecting him to recreate that form, then they can build on it
- Quinn on City clash

“Lee’s playing that role to a tee and Gus deserves big praise.
“I was at Chelsea’s game against Schalke and Nemanja Matic gave a masterclass both on and off the ball,” Quinn added. “He snuffed out everything the opposition tried to create and started the ball rolling for every little bit of creativity Chelsea had.
“I thought Matic would be the stand-out player on Saturday with all Chelsea’s flair, but Catts snuffed that out and if anything looked way above him.
“He stuck to the task well and upset Matic, upset [Cesc] Fabregas and upset Chelsea at the right time to put them off their game. The other players seemed to follow suit.”
Next up on the agenda for Poyet’s men is a mouth-watering clash against reigning Barclays Premier League champions Manchester City, and Quinn is backing Cattermole to set the standard once more as the Black Cats look to record a fifth successive home league win over Manuel Pellegrini’s side.
“It’s a big game on Wednesday and a tough one. Catts has set the standard and I expect the players around him are expecting him to recreate that form, then they can build on it.
“I was up here last week with the media and they were surprised when I said ‘why not have a go at Chelsea?’, and it’s the same thing again against Manchester City who do not like playing Sunderland – the records show that.”
He added: “On Saturday Sunderland were superb tactically and in terms of discipline and strength; all the key areas that determined the result.
“That team had the upper hand against the best side we’ve seen over the first 13 games of the season.”

cyprussyd
cyprussyd
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum