SunderMad
Why not join in with our small but perfectly formed community?

We are always looking for new members so sign up and join in, its free.

SOME PEOPLE SEEM TO HIT A SNAG WHEN TRYING TO REGISTER! NOT SURE WHY? IF YOU HAVE A PROBLEM EMAIL ME AND I WILL SORT IT?
sundamad@aol.com
Sky Sports-SunderMad Exclusive.
Latest topics
» Predictions Week 08
Only the Lonely EmptyToday at 4:06 pm by Gordon Armstrong

» Sunderland Goalkeeper suffers broken arm
Only the Lonely EmptyToday at 3:14 pm by Kipper

» Bolton Wanders v Sunderland AFC
Only the Lonely EmptyToday at 12:02 pm by barrowmackem

» Jack Ross
Only the Lonely EmptyToday at 9:56 am by Kipper

» Has Donald been told to zip it
Only the Lonely EmptyYesterday at 9:36 pm by Black Cat Kiwi

» Predictions Week 11
Only the Lonely EmptyYesterday at 9:28 pm by Jerry the Jinx

» Predictions Week 10
Only the Lonely EmptyYesterday at 9:27 pm by Jerry the Jinx

» Predictions Week 09
Only the Lonely EmptyYesterday at 9:26 pm by Jerry the Jinx

» FFP, FPP
Only the Lonely EmptyYesterday at 10:27 am by Kipper

» RESULTS OF WEEK 5 AND FIXTURES FOR WEEK 6
Only the Lonely Empty2019-09-18, 9:28 pm by Hieronymus

Only the Lonely

Go down

Only the Lonely Empty Only the Lonely

Post  Hieronymus on 2014-11-25, 12:12 pm

I just read this article on BBC website. It made me feel so sad Crying or Very sad

Lonely elderly flood Silver Line helpline with calls

By Michelle Roberts Health editor, BBC News online

In its first year, a free 24-hour UK helpline for the elderly has been inundated with calls about loneliness.

Founded by Esther Rantzen and aided by the Big Lottery Fund, the Silver Line took nearly 300,000 calls, and most were about feeling lonely or isolated.
More than half of callers told the helpline they had nobody else to talk to.
Some also called to report abuse or neglect in their homes or in residential care.
One of the first calls received was from a woman in a care home too afraid to give her name. But she did give the name of the care home, where the residents had been left without food and the heating turned off. The police were informed, and the residents are now safe.
Silver Line is now teaming up with the Care Quality Commission - the body that checks standards of care - to protect and support the most vulnerable.

As well as chatting to Silver Line on 0800 4 70 80 90, people can now call the CQC directly on 03000 61 61 61.
The chief inspector of adult social care at the CQC, Andrea Sutcliffe, said: "We believe that working together, we will be able to improve the standards of care for older people that may be falling short of the quality they need and deserve. It is also an opportunity to recognise examples of excellence and to highlight best practice to share with others."

The Silver Line uses trained staff to:

• Offer information, friendship and advice

• Link callers to local groups and services

• Offer regular befriending calls

• Protect and support those who are suffering abuse and neglect

Callers can receive a regular weekly friendship call or email or join a Silver Circle and take part in a regular group call on subjects that may interest them.

A friendly voice
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Dorothy lives alone since her husband died
Dorothy Mills, 85, from Lancashire, became a widow after 58 years of a very happy marriage.
With no children and her only surviving brother living abroad, Dorothy has no family around her.
She says it's the loneliness that is hardest to bear.
"You can't see it or smell it. But you feel it. Loneliness is like a deadness.
"It's a feeling of being abandoned," she says.
"The hardest thing is eating alone and the flat, dead nights… there is nothing worse than trying to eat a meal on your own in my opinion.
"It seems to bring it home to you."
Dorothy uses Silver Line to chat.
"It's lovely. I have a weekly call, and I so look forward to it. We can chat about anything. We just talk as friends do. It's a lovely, friendly feeling. I'm back to life!"

Esther Rantzen said: "We knew loneliness existed in this country, but the extent of this epidemic of loneliness and isolation suffered by people over 65 has shocked and alarmed us.
"Many of our callers ring us on a regular basis because they tell us we are the reason they can get through the day."
Hieronymus
Hieronymus
Admin Problem Solver
Admin Problem Solver

Back to top Go down

Only the Lonely Empty Re: Only the Lonely

Post  MrRAWhite on 2014-11-25, 12:27 pm

sadly these figures or the standards of the way old people are treat in many care homes does not surprise me..This looks like a very cause that Esther has embarked on with this and I hope it continues to be a success.

Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on 2014-11-25, 12:41 pm

I heard a bit of this, on the radio this morning, very disturbing, got me thinking, in a good way.

Back to top Go down

Post  cyprussyd on 2014-11-25, 4:34 pm

I live in a road that is full of over 60's bungalows, the majority of my neighbors are single, widows and widowers.

Over the years I have lived here I have seen a number of couples become singles, families try but everyone leads busy lives and many families live far away.

Mobility gets worse and slow walkers start using walking sticks then those walking frames with wheels and a seat then, they stop going out. I can name 4 of these people without trying, prisoners in their own homes.

I can also describe 4 cars, make and color, regulars in my street, around 7.30 in the morning, between 12 and 1 then again between 5 and 7, they are the carers who visit, for many their only contact with the outside world.

For many this is a sad tale, for me its every day life, I think nothing of it.

Op posit Annette lives May,a lovely lady, still stands tall and most mornings I see her up with one of those carpet sweepers, always between 6 an 7 when I pass with Osca, her carer never gets her up, she beats them every day, she is 99, deaf as a post and stubborn is not the word, we always wave. May is housebound and her world is seen from her lounge window. Whenever I pick Annette up, most days, she is there, waving at me so I always go to her window and say hello, that's all I say, hello, how are you today, that's all it takes.

My mobility is deteriorating and I can see my future but, when its around you every day believe me, its not that bad, well not here in Coxhoe and that's because of the community, there is always someone to say hello to and maybe there is strength in numbers.

If you are fit and healthy, can get out and about enjoy every moment because one day, you just never know.

My glass is always half full and occasionally over flowing. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
cyprussyd
cyprussyd
Senior Member(Top Cat)
Senior Member(Top Cat)

http://www.sunderlandmad.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Hieronymus on 2014-11-25, 4:52 pm

You know back in my day (I know the dreaded words of someone getting old!) when I was at secondary school many children did the Duke of Ednburgh award and part of this involved doing community work, such as taking an old gentleman or lady shopping, or getting the shopping in, or doing a bit of housework or popping in and making them lunch, or simply just visiting. I also recall Girl Guides and Boy Scouts were encouraged to do this sort of thing too. Has all of this stopped? Are schools and groups too afraid to send youngsters out into the community to help the elderly in case 'something' happens?
Hieronymus
Hieronymus
Admin Problem Solver
Admin Problem Solver

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum