SunderMad
Why not join in with our small but perfectly formed community?

We are always looking for new members so sign up and join in, its free.

SOME PEOPLE SEEM TO HIT A SNAG WHEN TRYING TO REGISTER! NOT SURE WHY? IF YOU HAVE A PROBLEM EMAIL ME AND I WILL SORT IT?
sundamad@aol.com
Sky Sports-SunderMad Exclusive.
Latest topics
» Sunderland vs Benfica B - Thursday 18th July
When Sunderland was bombed. EmptyYesterday at 11:38 pm by Hieronymus

» Got my pass, have you got yours?
When Sunderland was bombed. EmptyYesterday at 9:01 pm by Vincemac

» Good Luck
When Sunderland was bombed. Empty2019-07-17, 8:53 pm by Lever Malone

» Portugal
When Sunderland was bombed. Empty2019-07-17, 4:23 pm by cyprussyd

» SCMP
When Sunderland was bombed. Empty2019-07-16, 6:19 pm by gil t azell

» The Rt Hon David Bowen Esquire
When Sunderland was bombed. Empty2019-07-15, 11:17 pm by Hieronymus

» Wahbi Khazri
When Sunderland was bombed. Empty2019-07-15, 8:44 am by Hieronymus

» Love departs
When Sunderland was bombed. Empty2019-07-14, 9:08 am by barrowmackem

» McGeady
When Sunderland was bombed. Empty2019-07-14, 9:06 am by barrowmackem

» Twitter 1
When Sunderland was bombed. Empty2019-07-12, 5:19 pm by Hieronymus

When Sunderland was bombed.

Go down

When Sunderland was bombed. Empty When Sunderland was bombed.

Post  Guest on 2012-09-25, 2:12 pm

A bomb landed in the middle of the pitch during the Second World War, killing a policeman who was walking past the ground.

I'm led to believe that the street i grew up in was quite heavily bombed during the war, never realised just how heavily the place was targeted..

Anyone have any passed down tales?

Saturday, 15th/Sunday, 16th May 1943 N1351

A heavy raid on Sunderland caused much damage and many casualties. The surrounding area also suffered, Seaham Harbour in particular. Propaganda leaflets accompanied the bombs in some instances.

02.00-03.00.. Sunderland.. A heavy attack, widespread damage and many buildings destroyed. A nearby PM badly damaged the premises of Henry Moat and the adjacent Dun Cow Street fire station was slightly damaged. The crater was the largest of any in Sunderland - 99'across and 40'deep.

02.00-03.00.. Sunderland.. Another attack. Flares dropped. IBs hit oil storage tank at T.W. Greenwell& Co, South Dock works. Dock badly damaged and out of use till October. Another serious fire at British Ropes. Third big fire destroyed King's Theatre. Fourth destroyed Avenue Paint Works. (Two weeks later two bombs dropped on Paint Works rubble.

Sunderland.. Full details are given in the table below, the area is briefly covered by the rest of this paragraph.. Alexandra Park - Crowtree Road - Alderson Street - Ennerdale - Azalea Terrace - King's Theatre - Barnard Street - Cleveland Road - Otto Terrace - Laing's - Laburnum Road - Bright Street - Parkside Terrace - Gladstone Street - Cairns Road. Casualties:- seventy-one killed, eighty-two seriously injured and one hundred and forty-three slightly injured. PMs, HEs, firepots and many IBs fell in various parts of the town causing considerable damage.

The following is a complete copy of the ARP report, but times and abbreviations are formatted differently.

http://www.bpears.org.uk/NE-Diary/Inc/ISeq_33.html

Back to top Go down

When Sunderland was bombed. Empty Re: When Sunderland was bombed.

Post  Guest on 2012-09-25, 2:17 pm

thanks for link it,s good to be able to visit our recent past weather bad memories or not so bad.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on 2012-09-25, 2:38 pm

My late parents lived in Sunderland during the war - Southwick I think.
They had a few tales to tell.
When the sirens went they barricaded my sister (toddler) under the table ... to protect her.
My mother said the sound of the sirens made her feel sick...

My father was a miner, so not in the forces.
But he was a civil defence volunteer and helped out when houses were bombed ...

He told me the tale of a lone german bomber dropping it's load and heading out to sea, followed a few minutes later by a lone hurricane.
The hurricane returned over the pier doing victory roll to indicate he had got it..

All before my time..... I didn't arrive until January 1947 .. in the middle of a snow storm!

When Sunderland was bombed. Orangesmile3

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on 2012-09-25, 2:41 pm

He told me the tale of a lone german bomber dropping it's load and heading out to sea, followed a few minutes later by a lone hurricane.
The hurricane returned over the pier doing victory roll to indicate he had got it..

Topper that..

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum